What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best App For Editing and Creating Word Docs

Reaction score
Hi! this is my first post so I apologize if this has question has been asked before but I'm new to the forum and I finally received my IPad 2 today :).

On to my question, I need a basic app that I can use to create and edit Word docs that are in my MacBook at the moment. It would also be good if I can use Dropbox to access and transfer my files. I would also love the option to save in PDF format and insert my logo (jpg file) into the word document so idk if any of these apps have any limitations. Thanks so much for any responses. : )

PS. I'm in love with my iPad2!! <3

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NatTurnedAllApple said:
On to my question, I need a basic app that I can use to create and edit Word docs that are in my MacBook at the moment.

I'm not going to suggest any specific program but it appears that at the moment none of the word processors for the iPad support Word's change tracking so editing might be a bit dicey. That's the one feature I'm waiting for before springing for a proper word processor.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have Pages for your MacBook, and like it, then Pages for the iPad would be the way to go.

For better Word doc compatibility (but less creative potential on the iPad) the other two top contenders are Documents to Go and QuickOffice. (note: creative potential is an admittedly subjective and biased opinion)

There is a DropBox app for the iPad. GoodReader, a very popular all around filed manager and PDF tool, can also upload/download files from DropBox, and is more flexible than the DropBox app.

All three of the suggested apps will upload and download files from DropBox, though Pages needs an extra account with DropDAV (free if you DropBox account is free).

As Catfiend said, none of the apps are full featured. All are missing many high end abilities, like tracking. Even Pages won't do every thing the MacBook version will do.

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do a search online for office for iPad online. There are a ton of reviews. Bottom line is apple app for office( there are three total for $10 ea) vs. Docstogo (I use and prefer but that personal pref for $10 or $17 if you want dropbox built-in ) vs. Quick office($15). Many good reviews but bottom line is that they are all fairly close :)

Svenster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Catfiend said:
I'm not going to suggest any specific program but it appears that at the moment none of the word processors for the iPad support Word's change tracking so editing might be a bit dicey. That's the one feature I'm waiting for before springing for a proper word processor.

x2 here as well for track changes.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a word (no pun intended) of warning, if you use tables in your word docs or lots of heavy formatting you may find that Pages on the iPad will make a real mess of it..........saying that, I just love using Pages on my iPad!

The Archangel

OP
N
Reaction score
All I really need it for is to type letters and contracts for my hair/makeup bridal business. I just need to use a template with my letterhead in both headers, top and bottom. I saved each header individually as a jpeg.files so it should be pretty simple to insert into a doc. I need a program that will make that easy to do. Thanks for all your replies.

Most reactions