What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC iPlayer iPad App Out Now, and it Rocks!

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
bbc_iplayer_out.JPG

9to5Mac reports that the BBC iPlayer iPad app has finally appeared in the App Store, and in fact it’s already sitting pretty at the top of the UK Top Free iPad apps chart. The app enables viewers in the UK to watch live TV from the BBC, as well as listen to BBC Radio. You can browse the program guide on 3G, but you can only watch video if you’re hooked up to a Wi-Fi network.

The app features eight BBC channels: BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC News and BBC Parliament. The main menu page gives you a selection of featured programmes to click on and view, and the Most Popular feature is exactly what it says, the most popular programmes. There’s also a Favourites section too, which enables you to tap and hold and then drag a programme that you like to the Favourites bar. If you select the Channel Guide at the top of the page and then click on one of the highlighted programmes, a window will pop up enabling you to watch it live. I’m doing it right now and it works like a charm! Totally loving this app, great job BBC!

Click here to download the free app if you’re in the UK: BBC iPlayer for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: BBC iPlayer for iPad comes to the UK App Store | 9 to 5 Mac BBC iPlayer for iPad comes to the UK App Store | Apple Intelligence)

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have heard there is s subscription fee... how much is it?
Is there also free content available?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not available in the US anyway. Maybe a BBCAmerica app will be next??? I can't get enough of Top Gear

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"I can't get enough of Top Gear"

Lol you haven't been to school with idiots like those......
Runaway runaway!

Grandad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First Impressions

I downloaded it this morning so I have not had much chance to look at it yet, but first impressions are good.
Certainly looks and feels different than that, well broken, beta version Watch this space............

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1991-C4 said:
Its not available in the US anyway. Maybe a BBCAmerica app will be next??? I can't get enough of Top Gear

I'd rather have the BBC iPlayer available here in the US. I'd be willing to pay a yearly fee for it too! The lag time from when a show runs on BBC to when it comes to BBCA (if it even comes!) can be months. It leads people to go in search of illegal copies online. It could open up a whole new stream of revenue for BBC!

Sent from my 16G wifi iPad using iPF

Aldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah because in the uk we pay roughly $200 for a tv licence which allows us to watch bbc channels, so im sure they will try to get more revenue

Ann Gunning

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded the app today but having problems getting anything to play-keeps telling me to try later

I have a slow broadband connection, is anyone having similar problems?

Ann

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:
yes, a US version is coming in June with a subscription based format. TOP GEAR ON THE GO! WHOOOOOO!!!!

What is estimated cost monthly?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded the app today but having problems getting anything to play-keeps telling me to try later

Ann

Yes - I have exactly the same problem. It just sits there with a rotating white 'bezel' for a couple of minutes and then says to try later. My broadband is only 2.5 Mbps - I live in a rural area - but the 'old' beta web-based iPlayer ran fine.

Tim
Scotland

Grandad

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ann

No Ann. Watched an hour long programe last night with no buffering or any problems at all. But i have got 30mbs broasdband which translates to just over 20mbs on iPad. So that may be your problem.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep.
Looks good but done buggerall so far.
Even tried listening to a radio broadcast and it won't even start.

Guess they fired to many members of staff.......

Ciganka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

Has anyone tried using this app with video out leads connected to a TV? Does it support that? Or is it considered protected content?? If we can send this to a TV I'm definately going to get myself a video out lead!

Most reactions

Latest posts