What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Swell

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had my iPad Pro 10.5” replaced under warranty when I got a bright spot on the screen (left side) due to battery swell. It’s now happened again but it’s outside the warranty now. I think I read somewhere that Apple will replace the battery for £99 inc. Is this correct and how do I get it done. I’m a not too close to an Apple store even if they are still open? TIA.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I had my iPad Pro 10.5” replaced under warranty when I got a bright spot on the screen (left side) due to battery swell. It’s now happened again but it’s outside the warranty now. I think I read somewhere that Apple will replace the battery for £99 inc. Is this correct and how do I get it done. I’m a not too close to an Apple store even if they are still open? TIA.

Hi Willster - since you quoted a price in pounds, I'm assuming you're in the UK somewhere - might want to tell us 'where' in case we have members from that area who may have had the need for an iPad repair.

Apple pricing in the USA is discussed HERE - the out of warranty 'service fee' is rather steep if diagnostics on your device shows something other that a battery replacement; the latter is $99 - you'll have to search for UK fees which are likely comparable.

In the USA link above, contacts are listed - you might start there and may be refer to a service center close to your home; if you do not have an authorized Apple repair place nearby (and if so you may not want to go?), you can consider a mail-in - I'm sure you can find a location there; again, others from your area may be more helpful. Good luck. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Won't hurt to check with Apple Support before going with a third party. That way you can be certain it's out of warrantee before spending money. There is an app in the store. Not sure if it is available in the UK. Otherwise, jump through the hoops on the Apple.com site. There is no charge for asking.

Swelling batteries are both uncommon and not safe. I wouldn't stop using the iPad (if it is usable), but I would no longer leave the iPad charging unattended until you get a solution.

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks folks. Whilst I was waiting I had a look on the Apple site. It’s not absolutely clear but I asked for a battery “service” I think they called it. Cost is about £106. Sadly the website is not as clear as it could be and tries to cover most situations but “swollen battery”, which is a known issue is not amongst the options.

A box to ship it in is on its way so fingers crossed.

I’m guessing I’ve been unlucky to have two batteries swell but when I had the first iPad replaced under warranty the shop was not surprised at the issue and knew what to look for. You get a bright spot near the home button.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My battery (5 year old iPad Pro 9.7) is dying a natural death. Soon I'll be calling several local shops that service mainly phones, but also iPads. The cost should be similar to Apple's, but with some planning I should be able to get same-day replacement...so I won't suffer too much withdrawal. :)

When my last iPad (3rd gen) started dying, it was an excuse to opgrade. But my current one does everything I want or need, so battery replacement makes more sense.

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fantastic service from Apple. From opening a service case to getting a replacement was only about 4 or 5 days and remember that’s Apple posting me a transit box and me shipping the iPad to them to assess and them shipping out the replacement.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Fantastic service from Apple. From opening a service case to getting a replacement was only about 4 or 5 days and remember that’s Apple posting me a transit box and me shipping the iPad to them to assess and them shipping out the replacement.

Same here - bought my iPad Pro exactly 2 years ago (i.e. AppleCare is about to expire) - earlier this year, the device develop a focal screen defect - communicated w/ Apple via email - a 'new' one (i.e. according to the Apple advisor) was shipped to me at no cost, and I returned the defective one - took about 3-4 days total time. My only other uses of AppleCare was replacement of the battery in my MBPro and the charger (cable frayed at the magnetic connection to the laptop), both still under warranty. Dave :)

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How in the world does an ipad battery swell?
This seems quite common for lithium batteries. Don’t quote me but I believe it may be something to do with over charging? I had two swell on iPad Pro 10.5” and now it’s happened on my wife’s.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How in the world does an ipad battery swell?
Hi Thomas - lithium ion battery swelling is a well known complication due to build-up of gases w/i the sealed battery compartment - this results from a number of causes, including manufacturing defects (more HERE) - this is potentially dangerous and can even led to fire and explosion - iFixit has an excellent discussion - for those interested, take a look at both links. Dave :)

Most reactions