What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Pack for iPad?

Bmosbacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be traveling to Australia and China this summer with my iPad 3g. Both flights are 20 +/- hours. I am hoping to purchase a backup battery pack for the iPad. I have a Morphie pack for my iPhone but it is not compatible with the iPad.

Does anyone know of a backup battery pack that will work with the iPad?

Thank you.
Barrett

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know HyperMac makes external battery packs just for MacBook computers and on the battery pack it also has a usb port to plug in a iPod or iPhone.

I'm not sure if the voltage would be compatible, but you can run a iPod or iPhone on them so I don't see why you couldn't run the iPad.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Good luck

Cya

OP
B

Bmosbacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know HyperMac makes external battery packs just for MacBook computers and on the battery pack it also has a usb port to plug in a iPod or iPhone.

I'm not sure if the voltage would be compatible, but you can run a iPod or iPhone on them so I don't see why you couldn't run the iPad.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Good luck

Cya

Thanks for the feedback. This may not be applicable, but an employee at the local Apple store said the existing Morphie pack (which works for the iphone) is NOT compatible with the iPad so my guess that the same may be true of HyperMac, but I'll check!

Thanks again.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Boxwave claims to have a battery backup charger that works with AA batteries. I'll probably be getting it shortly after I get my 3G and give my opinion on it.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless you plan on having it on for 20 hours in a row and not sleep you shouldn't have to worry about charging it. I used mine for almost 16 hours and still had 15% left....that's about another 2 hours. So you should be able to use it for about 8 of the 20 hours....you really should sleep at some point.

OP
B

Bmosbacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Boxwave claims to have a battery backup charger that works with AA batteries. I'll probably be getting it shortly after I get my 3G ang give my opinion on it.

Thanks, please let me know how well it works!

OP
B

Bmosbacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless you plan on having it on for 20 hours in a row and not sleep you shouldn't have to worry about charging it. I used mine for almost 16 hours and still had 15% left....that's about another 2 hours. So you should be able to use it for about 8 of the 20 hours....you really should sleep at some point.

16 hours? That is great! I'll mostly be reading, not watching videos so perhaps I can get that amount of time.

As to sleep, unfortunately, I cannot sleep on planes! I flew to Beriut via Paris and it was at least a 19 hour trip. I never slep a wink. :(

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

16 hours? That is great! I'll mostly be reading, not watching videos so perhaps I can get that amount of time.

As to sleep, unfortunately, I cannot sleep on planes! I flew to Beriut via Paris and it was at least a 19 hour trip. I never slep a wink. :(

Just make sure you don't crank the screen brightness and you will be fine, I keep mine at about 40% and it never dies on me....if you are on a dark plane you could probably go lower and be fine.

OP
B

Bmosbacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just make sure you don't crank the screen brightness and you will be fine, I keep mine at about 40% and it never dies on me....if you are on a dark plane you could probably go lower and be fine.

Thanks. My Kindle has me spoiled--2 weeks with no charge! ;)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks. My Kindle has me spoiled--2 weeks with no charge! ;)

Well it also only uses power when you turn the page...it should technically last years without a charge.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad uses the same power as the iphone, it just takes a higher current to charge while the iPad is being used. So a battery pack that uses the same plug will work, if it is not a conformal fit.

paul65k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be traveling to Australia and China this summer with my iPad 3g. Both flights are 20 +/- hours. I am hoping to purchase a backup battery pack for the iPad. I have a Morphie pack for my iPhone but it is not compatible with the iPad.

Does anyone know of a backup battery pack that will work with the iPad?

Thank you.
Barrett
Which airline are you flying? Many airlines now have either cigarette lighter adapter, 110/220 plugs and some even have USB power available even in coach, although not at every seat so you should check with the airline and specifically the seating charts.

Here is a website that can help with many if not most of the airlines. Be sure to check which seats have hook-ups and change/call the airline to get a seat that will work....then you won't need a battery.:D

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in theory most of the iPhone-Power solutions should work, 'cause they share the same 30-pin connector.

Try the Griffin Technology device. It uses AA-cells.

tunejuiceiphone_1.jpg

Alcoholicaust

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone have any additional input on this? I'm heading out to Kyrgyzstan next Monday and will be traveling a good amount of time. Would like to get a little more out of my iPad while out and about.

Anyone pull the trigger on any external batteries? Or anyone already have one for their iPod or iPhone they could throw on the iPad to confirm or deny it's utility?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad external battery

in theory most of the iPhone-Power solutions should work, 'cause they share the same 30-pin connector.

Try the Griffin Technology device. It uses AA-cells.

tunejuiceiphone_1.jpg

Kheldour, excuse me to say you are 100% wrong, yet we are working on external iPad battery and i know well the problem … all for iPhone will never work the plus is the same but the energy the iPad need for start the cycle of charge is totally different, we are closely working with the subcontractor of : Phillip’s and Energizer so i think we are working with qualified people

if everything go well we will have the solution end of next week … but in technical field nothing is sure …

Most reactions

Latest posts