What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Drain / Performance in IOS5 Update

Twiddles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has a patch in Beta and should have a fix available for the next update. Performance improvement is a GUESS based on whatever is consuming the battery that can be fixed in a software update is likely affecting available resources for programs being used. An article mentions excessive queries to apple server.......

Apple promises software fix for iOS 5 battery woes - Computerworld

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No battery issues here, and I'm on an iPad 1 that I got last year and am a very heavy user.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is definitely affected
For example, last night my iPad 2 battery was at 90% when I went to bed. I put it in sleep mode.
This morning it's at 70%

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you leaving everything on? For example, on my 3G iPad, I turn whatever I'm not using off like Bluetooth, gps, and cellular data are all turned off right now. Bluetooth is never turned on in my case except for using a wiimote with emulators, and I only turn on gps when an app needs it, then turn it off when done. I only turn on 3G when I'm not on wifi, and when I am on 3G, I turn wifi off. And almost a year and a half later, I still get anywhere from 9.5 to 10.5 hours, depending on usage.

awboxster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest, I appear to be getting better battery life with ios5. With just wifi on I can generally achieve 2 days (about 10hrs)......with 3G enabled this drops to about 6-7hrs running time, this is no different to before the upgrade. Hope that helps

Adrian

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put the iPad in sleep mode.

I know the iPad still consumes a bit of power in sleep mode. However, before OS 5, it would merely lose a few percent of battery overnight. I never turned off wifi or 3G.
Now, in sleep mode, it loses 25% of its charge overnight.

There is definetely something different in iOS 5 making my iPad 2 consume more power while in sleep mode. I have no new apps, no different settings, etc.

***edit: Found several sites that mention a bug in iOS5. In location services, some users experienced a fast battery drain from the OS constantly checking the time zone. Temporary fix until iOS 5.0.1 is to turn off the time zone setting. I did and I'll see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm. It appears that people are getting different results with battery life on OS5. I can find posts claiming its worse but then there are always a few peopl that "mess" it up and say they are getting better performance. Its gotta be a device to device thing.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A lot of people have resolved this by disabling wifi sync in iTunes and turning off wifi on the iPad when not using it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

At least the batter life is better than my laptop, so can't really complain.

Regards,
Chays

Most reactions