What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Depletion Rate.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NLAlston said:
My 1st gen IPad (WiFi, 32GB), doesn't get even close to the stated 10hrs of battery life. I have followed the recommended guidelines of waiting until battery is fully depleted, before charging, but still get no more than about five hours of usage from my unit. I don't believe I have had this thing for a full month yet, but long enough (I think) for the battery to have developed a healthy charging cycle.

From what I've read Apple suggest draining to depletion once a month to keep the iPad in calibration, I could be wrong but don't believe so. You say you haven't had it for a full month yet, how many times have you totally depleted the battery? If you are continually discharging the iPad every time you use it perhaps that's the problem, the battery may not be completing a proper power cycle. As far as I'm aware with the latest batteries it's better to top them up rather than run them down completely. Batteries from years gone by needed to be totally discharged all the time to reset their "memory" lithium-ion batteries don't need this "memory" reset.

Im just trying to help so please don't flame me if I'm wrong. If I am wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me.

that sounds logical.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow I feel bad for the people with bad batteries, I would exchange them. With all notifications on, location services on, and push emails on, auto-brightness with the bar set to half I get about 11-12 hours of use out of mine.

Samuelchua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Sounds like driving nails with a sledge hammer. Have you ever tried running it down until shutdown, and then a full recharge? Apple recommends doing this about once a month to keep the charge indicator calibrated.

That's probably what your restore accomplishes as well.

From Apple's site:

Apple's iPad batter page
Apple - Batteries - iPad

Hm, on closer reading I seem to have been less than precise with my earlier recommendations. I've beens saying run it down then recharge, but Apple is saying the opposite. I wonder how much of a difference it makes. Not that I charge to less than 100% very often.

Thanks, I realize that the battery drain was due to 4.3. Now that I have patched it up with 4.3.1, the battery life seems stretched.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, my replacement iPad seems to be doing a lot better regarding the battery depletion issue. I am also now understanding that some owners have been experiencing some battery issues due to upgrading to iOS 4.3. It has also been stated that some owners, who had noticed faster power declines under 4.3, had begun to realize satisfaction after patching/upgrading to 4.3.1.

The first thing that I did, when I got this unit home, was to upgrade to 4.3. But as soon as I am back on my computer, later today, I will see about locating/installing ver. 4.3.1.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gazzaho said:
From what I've read Apple suggest draining to depletion once a month to keep the iPad in calibration, I could be wrong but don't believe so. You say you haven't had it for a full month yet, how many times have you totally depleted the battery? If you are continually discharging the iPad every time you use it perhaps that's the problem, the battery may not be completing a proper power cycle. As far as I'm aware with the latest batteries it's better to top them up rather than run them down completely. Batteries from years gone by needed to be totally discharged all the time to reset their "memory" lithium-ion batteries don't need this "memory" reset.

Im just trying to help so please don't flame me if I'm wrong. If I am wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me.

Your statement is correct. I wouldn't deplete the complete discharge more thn once a month as these batteries don't need memory reset, like you have stated ;-)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts