What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Depletion Rate.

Samuelchua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a tip i tried myself when i realise my battery life is dropped.

Sync and backup with itunes, theresfter do a full restore. This works with my iphone as well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's a tip i tried myself when i realise my battery life is dropped.

Sync and backup with itunes, theresfter do a full restore. This works with my iphone as well.

Sounds like driving nails with a sledge hammer. Have you ever tried running it down until shutdown, and then a full recharge? Apple recommends doing this about once a month to keep the charge indicator calibrated.

That's probably what your restore accomplishes as well.

From Apple's site:
Use Your iPad Regularly
For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Apple's iPad batter page
Apple - Batteries - iPad

Hm, on closer reading I seem to have been less than precise with my earlier recommendations. I've beens saying run it down then recharge, but Apple is saying the opposite. I wonder how much of a difference it makes. Not that I charge to less than 100% very often.

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I took my iPad off the charger yesterday morning and have used it pretty well since yesterday and all day today. It is currently 7:21 pm here and I have 24% left. I used it pretty heavily this morning as I had about 71% after yesterdays usage which was on the light side. Just to give you a rough idea about how your battery should perform.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, just returned home the the Apple Store - with a new (I think) 32GB WiFi Ipad. I am not altogether certain that they swapped with a brand new one, but they said that it was, and I HOPE that it was.

Anyway, they were able to determine, through diagnostic testing, that my stated issues were well founded. The Mobile Email was crashing on me which, I learned, was the reason behind my not being able to to type any replies until I had rebooted the device. It was also determined that there were some Apps running int he background, that was draining my battery down. The technician said (knowing that the unit was purchased only a month ago) that he'd feel better about exchanging the unit, and I agreed.

I don't know just which Apps were causing the problem, and had neglected to ask him. And I don't know how to make that determination myself. I do know that I have taken the extra steps to display on the screen bottom (double-clicking on the 'Home' button), the Apps that had been open, and I would go through the process of closing each one down. But have I missed something? Is there a way by which to insure that nothing is running in the background?

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, just returned home the the Apple Store - with a new (I think) 32GB WiFi Ipad. I am not altogether certain that they swapped with a brand new one, but they said that it was, and I HOPE that it was.

Anyway, they were able to determine, through diagnostic testing, that my stated issues were well founded. The Mobile Email was crashing on me which, I learned, was the reason behind my not being able to to type any replies until I had rebooted the device. It was also determined that there were some Apps running int he background, that was draining my battery down. The technician said (knowing that the unit was purchased only a month ago) that he'd feel better about exchanging the unit, and I agreed.

I don't know just which Apps were causing the problem, and had neglected to ask him. And I don't know how to make that determination myself. I do know that I have taken the extra steps to display on the screen bottom (double-clicking on the 'Home' button), the Apps that had been open, and I would go through the process of closing each one down. But have I missed something? Is there a way by which to insure that nothing is running in the background?

Dont worry about that, see if you get better battery life now with your normal usage. If its still bad then you can start bothering about background apps. I never close apps except skype and maybe navigation apps but those are both on my phone but on my iPad I never close apps. iOS multitasking is designed so users don't have to bother with managing their opened apps.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I did visit the Apple Store - earlier tonight - and they did indeed find that there were problems. I didn't mean to post similar in another thread but, as also mentioned there, I had no problem with them replacing my unit.

The two issues of complaints had to do with intermittent non-responsiveness of the keyed, at times of trying to reply to email messages, and rapidly depleting battery power. I was told that Mobile Email was crashing on me, which is why I often had to reboot in order to have my keyed function as it should. Then second issue was the battery, and the tech told me that there were some apps that were killing the battery.

As earlier mentioned, I am really stumped as to why the battery situation was what it was, especially since my usage was 90-95 percent within the regards of just surfing the web, and reading/writing (when I could) email messages.

I'll see what happens with this replacement, after I have put it through some paces. I'm crazy about this little device, and really hope that I am able to realize much better battery life. I also thank everyone who took the time to come to my aid.

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Makes sure you show it no mercy. Don't change yourself to fit the product, it should fit you. So use it how you need to and see if you get good battery life. I'm happy things worked out for you. Apple is great with customer service.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Makes sure you show it no mercy. Don't change yourself to fit the product, it should fit you. So use it how you need to and see if you get good battery life. I'm happy things worked out for you. Apple is great with customer service.

Thanks. I surely will.

ByHisStripes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I realized 100% over 10 hours is 10% battery life loss per hour. :)

So, I first turned off notifications and the pushing to all my email accounts, and then did my own official test.

I video streamed 2 baseball games on the MLB app and audio streamed a third. After exactly 7 straight hours, I was down to 37%, or 9% per hour (the battery use for video was slightly faster than audio).

So, my iPad battery is better than I perceived previously. :D Maybe the notifications and email push feature was making it worse, maybe I'll turn those features back on and duplicate my streaming video and audio test.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IOS 4.3.1 should fix most of the battery issues. Still need to update!

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gunny008 said:
IOS 4.3.1 should fix most of the battery issues. Still need to update!

Mine seems to be worse after the update.

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gunny008 said:
I thought a lot of users , according to 9-5 mac, said it has increased their battery life?

Me, too. Mine is worse, though. I have added other apps, too. I suppose I can't definitively attribute it to the update.

Right now I'm going to run my iPad to depletion then charge it, as was previously suggested.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NLAlston said:
My 1st gen IPad (WiFi, 32GB), doesn't get even close to the stated 10hrs of battery life. I have followed the recommended guidelines of waiting until battery is fully depleted, before charging, but still get no more than about five hours of usage from my unit. I don't believe I have had this thing for a full month yet, but long enough (I think) for the battery to have developed a healthy charging cycle.

From what I've read Apple suggest draining to depletion once a month to keep the iPad in calibration, I could be wrong but don't believe so. You say you haven't had it for a full month yet, how many times have you totally depleted the battery? If you are continually discharging the iPad every time you use it perhaps that's the problem, the battery may not be completing a proper power cycle. As far as I'm aware with the latest batteries it's better to top them up rather than run them down completely. Batteries from years gone by needed to be totally discharged all the time to reset their "memory" lithium-ion batteries don't need this "memory" reset.

Im just trying to help so please don't flame me if I'm wrong. If I am wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me.

Most reactions

Latest posts