What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baffled by Apple

Maynotts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a new forum member, I apologise for arriving with questions when I have yet to contribute anything here myself. However: I've tried to find answers via Apple Support's pages but got nowhere so am hoping clarity may be found here.

My situation is that I am a tech novice who owns a 7-year-old Sony Ericson mobile phone that isn't 'smart' but suits me fine, and an Asus Transformer TF101 Android tablet which I purchased in April 2011 and has served me faithfully until last month when it ceased to function properly.

I know nothing about Apple phones, pods, pads or computers but decided to treat myself to a new 9.7" iPad Pro tablet. I purchased it on Saturday. I am in the middle of learning how to use it and also, learn about its operating system. I imagine this will take me some time.

My questions arise from the fact that alarmingly, I have now received not one but two warnings from Apple, and I have had to change my password not once but twice. I used my new tablet for the first time on Saturday to set up my Apple ID and iCloud. On Sunday Apple emailed to say:

"your Apple ID was just used to accept GarageBand from the App Store on a computer or device that had not previously been associated with that Apple ID".

I do not even know what GarageBand is. Still less have ever ordered it or "accepted" it.

Today, Monday, another Apple email says:

"Your Apple ID was used to sign in to FaceTime and iMessage on an iPad Pro named (my name) iPad."

But I don't know what either of those are and certainly haven't signed in to them.

So within 48 hours of buying an Apple product I am being warned that I have done this, that and the other with this phone . . . when I haven't.

My gmail email address, used with my Apple ID, is unique to me and has never been hacked or muddled up with anyone else's gmail address. I hardly think someone has suddenly hacked it; the coincidence between these warnings and my purchase of this new product is too much to ignore. I also think that after changing one password -- the original one which apparently resulted in me "accepting GarageBand" -- it's highly unlikely my account was then hacked again, this time to allow someone other than me to sign into whatever "FaceTime" might be.

My husband, who sadly knows nothing about Apple either, says all he can think of is that what's happening is actually to do with the device rather than with me.

He has discovered that GarageBand comes free with the iPad Pro, so he wonders if Apple has automatically made me "accept it". Yet why Apple should warn me about this alleged "App Store acceptance" when I've never been anywhere near the App Store, and also without any other word of explanation, is a mystery. Similarly with FaceTime and iMessage. I have not signed into either yet am being told I have -- and that if I haven't, then "please change your password".

I know I'm a complete novice here but have to say I find this all very discouraging for a £499 product.

I have never received messages like this before in all the years of using my Android tablet yet here I am, 2 days into using this Apple tablet, and stuff seems to be happening over which I have no control. If anyone can help me understand what is going on, that would be much appreciated because trying to get any sense out of Apple "support" and "community questions" isn't getting me anywhere. Thank you.

PS: In case anyone asks, my iPad Pro is brand new from a UK High Street authorised Apple retailer (not eBay or Amazon or Amazon marketplace) and is the UK model. It isn't pre-owned / grey import / refurbished.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and don't worry about contributions. We all start the same way, and your time will come.

No idea why GarageBand has decided that your iPad can't do without it. As you point out, it is free, so no loss.

By setting up iCloud, you have likely automatically signed into FaceTime and iMessage, which is why you have received the message.

It's been 5 years since I set up my iPad so apologies if I'm short on details. I often receive such messages on all my devices after making minor changes on one. They are nothing to worry about, and are designed to give information.

It is extremely unlikely that your account has been hacked, so changing passwords every time you receive a message is not necessary.

Stick around the forum, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Some of us have been using these things for years, and if we don't know the answer to a question, we can find it out.

OP
M

Maynotts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kevin: sincere thanks for coming to the rescue so promptly! It's very kind of you to provide the clarity -- and, more importantly, the reassurance I needed. I've had no further 'warnings' so am assuming all is well, though if I have joined a GarageBand it's going to come as a surprise to Husband. Thanks again for managing that which no amount of time spent on Apple online support achieved.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Garage Band is a music creation app, made by Apple. You don't join it, you download it. If you don't see it on your iPad, it may be on the second home screen. Most new downloads end up there.

If I remember correctly, at some point after the initial log in Apple wil suggest some of it's own free apps for download. If you happen to tap yes to this in the flurry of dialogs, you may have downloaded them without realizing. Other apps that might have been suggested are Pages, Numbers, and Keynote; Apple's productivity suite.

Whenever a new device is detected joining or activating a service(even the first one), Apple will send you a warning. Godgel does the same thing when a new computer of device logs into your Google account for the first time.

Anyway, Welcome to the forum.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@twerppoet makes a good point. Pages (word processor), Numbers (spreadsheet) and Keynote (PowerPoint type software) are all free with a new iPad but need downloading. Other useful apps are Remote (for controlling iTunes remotely using Home Sharing) and iBooks. If you use Apple routers you should grab AirPort Utility too.

All the apps I mention are free and made by Apple.

Most reactions

Latest posts