What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup Could Not Be Completed on iCloud

Tib Luvr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed the latest iOS last night, and it was a nightmare. I've never had problems with an update before, but this one made up for it. It kept turning on and shutting itself off, over and over. Finally I had an online chat with Apple support. I had to do a complete restore.

This morning, I'm trying to backup to iCloud, and I keep getting the same error message. WHY will it not let me backup? I've shut it off and restarted; I've logged into and out of iCloud; nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible that your Wi-Fi connection isn't working, or it's too slow. Try a different network, if possible.

Go to Settings - iCloud - Storage, and make sure there's enough storage space available for a backup. If it's not enough, upgrade your iCloud storage, or disable apps/features you don't need in iCloud.

Connect the iPad to a power source and Wi-Fi, and try backing up once more.

OP
T

Tib Luvr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's possible that your Wi-Fi connection isn't working, or it's too slow. Try a different network, if possible.

Go to Settings - iCloud - Storage, and make sure there's enough storage space available for a backup. If it's not enough, upgrade your iCloud storage, or disable apps/features you don't need in iCloud.

Connect the iPad to a power source and Wi-Fi, and try backing up once more.

I have 43GB available, so I doubt that's the issue. I switched wifi connections and still nothing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try deleting the existing backup file, then forcing a new backup.

You can delete your backup at Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage (under iCloud) > select your device under BACKUPS. When the app list finishes displaying you can go to the bottom of the screen and Delete Backup.

To force a new backup. Settings > iCloud > Backup > Back Up Now

No idea why these two options are in different places. Annoying.

OP
T

Tib Luvr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done that - more than once. No change. I spent over an hour on the phone with support today. They elevated it, and even that person couldn't figure it out. Now it's been elevated to an engineer and they're supposed to call me tomorrow.

Most reactions