What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backlight Only, Replaced LCD and Happened Again

mama_henz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I'm finally sucking it up and posting for help; I apologize for being long winded. I bought this Ipad 4 from someone on Craigs List who said they were using it and then one day the screen went black but they still had sound. There isn't a scratch or mark anywhere on this thing so besides the black display it looked to be in perfect condition.

I got it home, tried every software fix in the book and then realized the only fix was a new LCD screen. I replaced the screen and it immediately lit up with graphics and no issues. The same day I replaced the LCD screen I noticed that the front facing camera and microphone were not working. I assumed it was something I must have done when I replaced the LCD even though I was extremely careful and everything looks untouched.

Now here I am less than 90 days later and the screen just went grey again. I have to assume there is something else going on that is killing the screen and maybe it has something to do with the issue related to the camera and microphone.

I am open to any thoughts or ideas. Thank you all

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello mama_henz and welcome to the forum.
I've taken the liberty of moving your thread from the iPad 4 forum to the iPad Help forum as this should get you some more focused attention on your issue, as that forum may be specifically visited more often by technically minded (brave? :cool:) members such as yourself.
Your post is still visible by all members under "Active Topics" up top, as will be any replies in your thread.
Regards, Andrew

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to confirm, the first time the LCD was black but after replacing it, it turned gray a few weeks later?
When you removed the glass to replace the LCD did it look like someone had been in there before?
Another thing to investigate is whether or not the LCD cable was fully inserted into the logic board and the locking clip was flipped down properly.
In regards to the mic and camera they are on the same ribbon cable linking to the logic board, so it is possible that the ribbon was damaged. Also check inside for any traces of liquid damage.

Most reactions