What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backing up whilst on charge?

Casey_B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I hope you're well. This is day 4 of iPad Mini ownership for me. In the time I've owned mine, I haven't actually run a complete backup. Wondered whether it's safe to do so whilst the device is charging.

Thanks,

Casey

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are two ways to backup your iPad:

You can use iCloud to back it up - in that case it will back up automatically when it's charging, online and locked (the screen is black, but it's turned on). In Settings - iCloud - Storage & Backup enable iCloud Backup.

You can backup using iTunes. You connect your device to a computer, and choose File - Devices - Backup in iTunes. In that case it's not always possible to charge it, because you use the USB cable for the computer, and most of them don't provide enough power to charge it.

You can also use both methods to back it up. This will help you decide which one to use: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262

Last edited:
OP
Casey_B

Casey_B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update - backed up successfully, installed iOS 7.1.2, still charging. The learning curve's not quite as steep as I thought. Post update restart did scare me a little, though! :)

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use iCloud. As J. A. says, it is automatic when charging. That way I don't forget to back up. Just like skimonkey, I sometimes use it whilst charging. You will find it is such a flexible device and you will always find any help you need on this forum.
Enjoy your iPad experience and good luck.
Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts