What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backing up documents in Pages

Donjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’m trying to publish a document on Apple Books. Every time I click on a pages document, an error message says it is not backed up in iCloud.I know I’ve done everything correctly in iCloud settings to back up Pages, but the documents themselves won’t load into iCloud.
what am I doing wrong

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand what is going on.

In Pages, you either select or open a document you want to make into a Book. You choose Export from the Share Sheet or More (three dot icon). You choose Export, make changes to the EPUB info sheet, Export, then choose Books from the options presented.

At what point are you getting the warning?

OP
D

Donjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’m trying to publish a document on Apple Books. Every time I click on a pages document, an error message says it is not backed up in iCloud.I know I’ve done everything correctly in iCloud settings to back up Pages, but the documents themselves won’t load into iCloud.
what am I doing wrong
I g
Let me see if I understand what is going on.

In Pages, you either select or open a document you want to make into a Book. You choose Export from the Share Sheet or More (three dot icon). You choose Export, make changes to the EPUB info sheet, Export, then choose Books from the options presented.

At what point are you getting the warning?
I get the warning immediately after I select it to publish

OP
D

Donjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get the warning immediately after I select it to publish it to apple books

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Now I see. You are attempting to publish a book to Apple’s book store; make it available for download in Books for others.

I can’t really help with that. It requires an iTunes Connect account, which I don’t have. Since you do have such an account I recommend going to Apple’s support for that service.

I don’t know why you are getting a backup warning. It sounds odd, but since I can’t experiment I can’t track it down. Backups in iCloud for Pages should have nothing to do with this process.

OP
D

Donjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. I find it odd too that you can back up Pages itself but not the documents in it.

OP
D

Donjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. Now I see. You are attempting to publish a book to Apple’s book store; make it available for download in Books for others.

I can’t really help with that. It requires an iTunes Connect account, which I don’t have. Since you do have such an account I recommend going to Apple’s support for that service.

I don’t know why you are getting a backup warning. It sounds odd, but since I can’t experiment I can’t track it down. Backups in iCloud for Pages should have nothing to do with this process.
I figured out a workaround. Simply open a new document in Pages in the cloud, copy and paste the old document into the blank document on the cloud and I’m done. All the changes I make on the pages document will be automatically saved.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Backups in iOS don’t backup files in and individual way. Everything is saved in one big lump that can only be restored as a whole. You can restore your entire iPad, but not a single document. And it only works for content stored on your iPad.

I don’t know how or if iCloud is backed up. It is not something you get control off. I’m pretty sure Apple keeps backups of some kind for their iCloud servers, and they can restore them, but it’s not a customer facing option. You would have to work with tech support to get it done. I did this once, around 2011 or 2012 when my iCloud content all disappear, but it felt like the support person working with me did not have a standard instruction on how to do it. More like he had to put in a request with some other department. No idea if it’s still an option.

Still, the backup process or state should have nothing to do with what you are doing, After all, you have the option of turning it off, and that shouldn’t change whaat can or can’t be done outside of restoring.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I figured out a workaround. Simply open a new document in Pages in the cloud, copy and paste the old document into the blank document on the cloud and I’m done. All the changes I make on the pages document will be automatically saved.

I’m glad you found a solution.

Most reactions

Latest posts