What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AYL Carbon Fiber?

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AYL Carbon Fiber Case?

Check out the link below. Does anyone have this AYL 5 in 1 case? Seems like a nice case but sounds fishy when they claim it's carbon fiber.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Quality-Premium-Carbon-Generation/dp/B004TJC4PW"]Amazon.com: AYL (TM) Water and Scratch Proof 5-in-1 High Quality Premium Carbon Fiber Case Folio with built-in Stand for Apple Ipad 2nd Generation Tablet/wifi 3G Model 16gb, 32gb, 64gb (Black): Electronics[/ame]

Also, reviews are suspicious, other than the one guy using his real name, no one else has reviewed anything else on Amazon.

How can it be carbon fiber if it looks and feels like leather? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

05GT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going by the photos that's a typical leather case that folds for different viewing angles. Looks pretty good though.

OP
N

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going by the photos that's a typical leather case that folds for different viewing angles. Looks pretty good though.

Yea, I'm just really curious why they insist on calling it "carbon fiber." In my experience carbon fiber looks nothing like leather. I'm just making sure I'm not missing anything.

IRazzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Carbon Fiber Case

Hi. I have this case. Just received it on Thursday. I don't know about water stains - but it doesn't scratch. At least not with my fingernails. (Yes - I tried)
I have a leather Kindle case that cost nearly twice as much and while there is a difference - its not so much.

The iPad2 more or less "snaps" into place and one of the most deciding factors for me was the fact the entire screen is visible and not hidden behind a bulky "frame". To use the built in stand - just the bottom two corners must be pushed away and voila. I also like the soft sage green color of the interior.

But the smell - OH THE SMELL! I read so many reviews and kept asking myself how bad could it be? Don't kid yourself - its bad. Its quite acrid and potent. Definitely chemical smell. BUT the smell dissipates and has continued to do so over these past days. I'm guessing another week it will be unnoticeable.

As the reviews on Amazon have stated - all the buttons, cameras, etc. are accessible.

I bought this case as a "temporary" case until the market has had time to come up with something I can't live without. The one thing that does not work with this case is the "smart cover" concept that turns the iPad on and off. Its a very minor inconvenience.

I would buy this case again as it provides all the necessary protection so I can comfortably use my iPad without fear or damaging it. But I'll be keeping my eye out for an Otterbox Commuter case . . . . .

IRazzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Carbon Case Follow-Up Reply

I realized that I didn't really answer your question about the carbon fiber make-up of the case. Quite simply put, I don't know what the case is made from.

OP
N

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I realized that I didn't really answer your question about the carbon fiber make-up of the case. Quite simply put, I don't know what the case is made from.

Thanks for getting back to me. Can you fold it all the way to the back for holding with your left hand in portrait? I read that it leaves a wedge and won't fold flat on the older Yoobao Magic (its twin for iPad 1.) Is it the same with this case?

Yea I really still have no idea why they insist on calling it carbon fiber. I really like the case but I don't like being sold on something it clearly isn't, unless of course the faux leather was sprayed on top of carbon fiber (very unlikely.) Does carbon fiber mean something else in other countries?

Would you mind posting some pics? I would like to see how thiness of this case and there's no side-view pictures of it on amazon.

IRazzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AYL Carbon Fiber iPad 2 Case

Hi.
I will be happy to post some pictures for you - but it will be later tomorrow as we'll be gone for a good part of the day.
Someone posted a link to another case which they stated was a better option. That case also looks nice - but isn't available yet. It does have the "smart cover" concept included which is an advantage. That case has two grooves for standing and then a typing position as well as folding all the way back. This AYL case works just the same - although it has 4 grooves for standing.
And this case does NOT have the strap for holding on the back but yes - it does fold back entirely for holding with the left hand (or right).

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Matt1226 said:
That CEO hybrid case from Marware seems to be the best case on the market.

But not for $50:( for 1/2 price I will bite one though.

Most reactions

Latest posts