What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome LEGO iPad stand

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I saw this awesome Japanese designed iPad LEGO stand on YouTube. It's the best LEGO stand I've seen yet. I was so impressed, I went out and bought a LEGO set that looked like it had all the appropriate pieces and it did! I just replicated the stand (with black/yellow pieces)! I love it!

LEGOstudio Model Gallery

neocaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's awesome! Now if you were really cool, you could post a parts list to save me the trouble of watching the video 20 more times.

OP
P

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, even if I gave a parts list, you'd still have to watch the video to put it together! LOL. This was my first Technics LEGO purchase, so I don't know the LEGO jargon, but I'll try just from looking at my assembled one:

6 pieces - 1x9 holed bar
2 pieces - 1x3 holed bar
2 pieces - 1x3 holed bar where one of the holes is perpendicular and takes the cross bars (these are the pieces that are used to rotate the legs out)
1 piece - 1x4 90 degree holed bar (4 holes along one side and then a single hole on the 90 degree piece)
8 pieces - 1x3 pivot bar things
1 piece - 1x3 cross sign bar
7 pieces - 1x2 pivot bar things
2 pieces - 1x2 one side pivot bar, other side cross sign

I got these pieces from Technics LEGO set 8047: the construction digger set.

neocaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I would have asked for assembly instructions, but just having the parts list already feels like cheating. Step by step instructions would be no fun at all. I use the incase leather folio as a stand, but I'm planning on picking my wife up a 32GB Wifi and she would rather have an invisi-shield, nice colorful bumper case and lego stand.

Last edited:
OP
P

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You'd think, eh? But it doesn't have enough pieces to make a second stand. At least, not a second one that looks the same as the first one.

That was the smallest Technic set at the LEGO store that looked like it had the appropriate pieces. And it was the second smallest Technic set at the store period!

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, even if I gave a parts list, you'd still have to watch the video to put it together! LOL. This was my first Technics LEGO purchase, so I don't know the LEGO jargon, but I'll try just from looking at my assembled one:

6 pieces - 1x9 holed bar
2 pieces - 1x3 holed bar
2 pieces - 1x3 holed bar where one of the holes is perpendicular and takes the cross bars (these are the pieces that are used to rotate the legs out)
1 piece - 1x4 90 degree holed bar (4 holes along one side and then a single hole on the 90 degree piece)
8 pieces - 1x3 pivot bar things
1 piece - 1x3 cross sign bar
7 pieces - 1x2 pivot bar things
2 pieces - 1x2 one side pivot bar, other side cross sign

I got these pieces from Technics LEGO set 8047: the construction digger set.

Thanks for posting this!

OP
P

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm amazed you guys understand my parts list! I barely do!

BTW, the "pivot bar things" are the pieces in the video that are the stoppers that hold the ipad on the rotating legs. Cylindrical hollow rods like tiny toilet paper rolls...they allow you to pivot/rotate the pieces. I'm sure there's a real title for them, but I have no idea what they're called.

Good luck! :)

iSoozin60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, could you move the little black things on the ends of the red pieces back a space or two or three and have the iPad sit up straighter?? Love the stand, but I use my iPad on my lap so would need something with a wider base!! Is there a flat Lego piece that the stand could be attached to?? ;)

OP
P

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, you can move those pieces. It's LEGO! :)

This is a table stand, not a lap stand. You could put it on a lap desk, but you'd need to put something with more grip on the places the iPad touches as well as the bottom of the legs b/c it will slide around.

Alling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
simonalling.webs.com
Purpleorchid said:
Cylindrical hollow rods like tiny toilet paper rolls...they allow you to pivot/rotate the pieces. I'm sure there's a real title for them, but I have no idea what they're called.
They are called pegs and fall under the connectors category. The "long pieces with holes" are called beams. :)

This portable stand is really amazing. (Keep in mind that it is a portable stand.) I have built it and it's gonna be useful once my iPad arrives. Actually, I did two minor changes to the construction:
1) I changed the black pegs at the ends of the red beams to those with knobs. Looks smoother, but I'm not completely sure it's gonna work.
2) See the smallest yellow parts in the Japanese example? I added two of those, again to make it look a bit smoother, but also to move the "legs" a little bit more apart from eachother.

I constructed a stand on my own right after seeing this one. It is not intended to be portable. However, as I'm gonna use the iPad as a digital photo frame, my stand has a built-in gear function allowing you to adjust the iPad's angle by twisting a small rubber tire. Images coming soon. :)

EDIT:
I have my iPad now. The portable stand works, but I made a few adjustments. Using pegs with knobs works.

Last edited:

nicho_m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
haha...that's actually pretty good..i will definitely try this one out

Most reactions

Latest posts