What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AVPLAYER HD WITH APPLE TV

Glboater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using AVPlayer HD for its ease of use but when using it with Apple TV im "mirror" mode, the moviw, while fine on the ipad is all Herky Jerky on the TV. I was playing an MKV file with is supposed to work and I even tried converting it to MP4 but still no luck. I've tried deleting and reinstalling AVPlayer but the same thing.

Any help is appreciated since AVPlayer Support never answers any questions on their products.

Thanks

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you play mp4 movies in the Videos app, you can use AirPlay to send them to your Apple TV without mirroring. I don't think Videos can handle any other file format, but it does mp4 adequately.

I just streamed an mp4 from my iPad 3 to my Apple TV 3, and it played smoothly.

OP
G

Glboater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you play mp4 movies in the Videos app, you can use AirPlay to send them to your Apple TV without mirroring. I don't think Videos can handle any other file format, but it does mp4 adequately.

I just streamed an mp4 from my iPad 3 to my Apple TV 3, and it played smoothly.

So you say to convert files to MP4 and then put them in AVPlayer?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm saying that you may get smoother playback if you use an app that supports AirPlay without having to mirror the iPad display. If AVPlayer won't do that, then use another player. Videos, the player app that came with your iPad, will do that, but it only plays mp4.

Before I got an Apple TV, I tried several third-party apps to watch MKV and AVI movies on my iPad. None of them worked very well. Now, I convert everything to mp4, store them on my iMac, and play them directly to Apple TV without going through the iPad.

OP
G

Glboater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm saying that you may get smoother playback if you use an app that supports AirPlay without having to mirror the iPad display. If AVPlayer won't do that, then use another player. Videos, the player app that came with your iPad, will do that, but it only plays mp4.

Before I got an Apple TV, I tried several third-party apps to watch MKV and AVI movies on my iPad. None of them worked very well. Now, I convert everything to mp4, store them on my iMac, and play them directly to Apple TV without going through the iPad.

I of course used to do that and will try it again, but using an app like CinXPlayer or AV Player was much easie. To be honest it worked fine for the longest time, now, I get nothing but these erratic playbacks. Maybe it's an Apple TV issue that needs addressing.

Thanks for your input.

OP
G

Glboater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you rebooted your router lately? How about your Apple TV? It can't hurt...

Good suggestion but yes I have with no difference. I tried one of the previous post suggestions of converting everything to MP4 and but it in the native iPad video app and it works fine but I would much rather not have to convert everything and use the AV Player and have it working like it originally was.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you read the app description for AV Player, it says if the screen shakes, it means hardware decoding is not supported by your device. It suggests to turn off "hybrid decoding" in the settings.

Not sure if that helps any.

In addition, I don't see anywhere where it says it is AirPlay compatible.

Most reactions