What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Available storage space?

Ashwood11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will be available in 16, 32 and 64GB versions. On the 16GB model how much of that will be available storage and how much will be taken up by the operating system and shipping applications?

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If looking at the 32G version of iPhone is any indication.

Itunes reports available capacity - any user installed data is = to about 29.3G meaning that much of the OS etc is about 3Gig of data.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you used the iPhone / iPod touch before?

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also see this thread for remotely streaming video

Less data to store on the iPad, as well as cloud computing like making use of the iDisk service with Apple or others like Drop Box is the way to go.

I use ScannerPro on the iPhone and after making new PDF docs I immediately upload them to my iDisk which also syncs them with all my other Macs.

At home I add things to the iDisk as well but also use the Drop Box on my iMac for docs I want to get to while on the road. The Drop Box service also has an app for the iPhone and syncs across computers as well as shares to friends, which Apples iDisk allows that too.

Everything else I just VNC or RDP to if needed using Jaadu's apps on the iPhone.

ayuryogini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone say what the main advantages of 64GB over 32GB would be, other than the obvious of 2x the GB; I'm planning on ordering the 32GB, but am wondering what one would need 64GB for? Thanks.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad storage

Can anyone say what the main advantages of 64GB over 32GB would be, other than the obvious of 2x the GB; I'm planning on ordering the 32GB, but am wondering what one would need 64GB for? Thanks.

I think only you can reply at this question as depend only of how you will use you're Ipad and witch one you want (Wifi or 3G), example my self even i have some thousand of song and 8 pages of app's i order a 32 because i have more than enough in my iPhone 3Gs 16G always have 4G free, but in the Ipad i will carry some movie and doc's so i believe 32 is enough ...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think only you can reply at this question as depend only of how you will use you're Ipad and witch one you want (Wifi or 3G), example my self even i have some thousand of song and 8 pages of app's i order a 32 because i have more than enough in my iPhone 3Gs 16G always have 4G free, but in the Ipad i will carry some movie and doc's so i believe 32 is enough ...

I have 2GB left on my iPod Touch, I have several thousand songs and 12 pages of apps (many of which are games)

I ordered the 64GB version since I know there are going to be a lot of bigger apps (games) coming out for the iPad

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want to put 5 movies on it for a road trip with the kids, some books and pictures and podcasts and some audio books and music and don't want to have unload this and reload this, 64 gigs is not enough.

And this is even without any e magazines, e newspapers or whatever someone dreams up in the next 3 years.

The more things I think of to use the iPad for the more I think it will push us to the cloud because we can't do all of that yet with local storage .

I have heard of people becoming addicted to their iPhones, this may be worse. :D Is it April 3rd yet?????

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At home I add things to the iDisk as well but also use the Drop Box on my iMac for docs I want to get to while on the road. The Drop Box service also has an app for the iPhone and syncs across computers as well as shares to friends, which Apples iDisk allows that too.
QUOTE]

This is something I'm curious about too. I have MobileMe and plan to store some of my movies on my iDisk. How can I access these remotely from my iPad?

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Disregard my last post. I figured it out. I just found the mobileme iDisk app in the iphone app store. I'm testing it out on my iphone right now to see how feasible it'll be to use iDisk it for extra iPad storage. I have some music and photos uploaded to iDisk from my mac. I just tried to download a song from iDisk to my iphone. It was very very slow over 3g, but it should do the trick for giving me extra storage for movies and music.

Guillaume

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Itunes reports available capacity - any user installed data is = to about 29.3G meaning that much of the OS etc is about 3Gig of data.

Sorry, that's actually not how it works :)

In computing, we use bytes as a measure of storage (one byte is 8 bits- a bit being symbolically either a 0 or 1).

Because we use powers of two however, 1 kilobyte (KB)= 1024 bytes (2^10 bytes), 1 megabyte (MB) = 1024 kbytes, 1 gigabyte (GB) = 1024 mbytes.

Hence 1 GB = 1024*1024*1024 = 1 073 741 824 bytes.

But in other fields, the prefix 'giga' just means "1 billion"- and that's what all the companies use. Makes sense, it's easier to remember for most people. Plus, that results in a bit more of storage, so it's convenient for them. Computers however consider that 1 GB = 1024 MB.

The 32 GB ipad has 32 billion bytes of storage, but your computer will use the aforementionned method of calculating storage, which results in:

32 000 000 000 / 1 073 741 824 = 29.8 GB.

iTunes shows 29.3 GB available out of these 29.8 GB, hence the OS takes about 0.5 GB, which is 500 MB.

So a 16 GB iPad will have:

16 000 000 000 / 1 073 741 824 = 14.9 GB.

If we substract about 500 MB for the OS (the iPad's OS shouldn't be significantly bigger than the iPhone's/iPod touch's), that's 14.4 GB.

And on a 64GB ipad:

16 000 000 000 / 1 073 741 824 = 59.6 GB, minus 500 MB = 59.1 GB.

Hope that made things a bit more clear :)

If you want to put 5 movies on it for a road trip with the kids, some books and pictures and podcasts and some audio books and music and don't want to have unload this and reload this, 64 gigs is not enough.

And this is even without any e magazines, e newspapers or whatever someone dreams up in the next 3 years.

I think you're exagerating a bit there. A movie at full iPad res takes about 1.5 GB (I already started encoding my high res movies :) ).

So 5 movies = 7.5 GB.
Now if you want to put 150 albums of music, considering 100 MB per album (which would be pretty well encoded music, more often it's about 60 MB per album), that's 15 GB.
Add about 1 GB of podcasts (that's about 15 hours worth of podcasts), and 1 GB of applications (again, an overestimation).

That gives us a total of 7.5 + 15 + 1 + 1 = 24.5 GB taken out of the 64GB iPad's 59.

34.5 GB left, or 40% of the iPad filled up. That's a lot of space left. And e-magazines, etc. won't take that much space compared to a movie, for isntance.

So yes, I think 64GB will definitely be enough for most people. :p

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sorry, that's actually not how it works :)

In computing, we use bytes as a measure of storage (one byte is 8 bits- a bit being symbolically either a 0 or 1).

Because we use powers of two however, 1 kilobyte (KB)= 1024 bytes (2^10 bytes), 1 megabyte (MB) = 1024 kbytes, 1 gigabyte (GB) = 1024 mbytes.

Hence 1 GB = 1024*1024*1024 = 1 073 741 824 bytes.

But in other fields, the prefix 'giga' just means "1 billion"- and that's what all the companies use. Makes sense, it's easier to remember for most people. Plus, that results in a bit more of storage, so it's convenient for them. Computers however consider that 1 GB = 1024 MB.

The 32 GB ipad has 32 billion bytes of storage, but your computer will use the aforementionned method of calculating storage, which results in:

32 000 000 000 / 1 073 741 824 = 29.8 GB.

iTunes shows 29.3 GB available out of these 29.8 GB, hence the OS takes about 0.5 GB, which is 500 MB.

So a 16 GB iPad will have:

16 000 000 000 / 1 073 741 824 = 14.9 GB.

If we substract about 500 MB for the OS (the iPad's OS shouldn't be significantly bigger than the iPhone's/iPod touch's), that's 14.4 GB.

And on a 64GB ipad:

16 000 000 000 / 1 073 741 824 = 59.6 GB, minus 500 MB = 59.1 GB.

Hope that made things a bit more clear :)

I think you're exagerating a bit there. A movie at full iPad res takes about 1.5 GB (I already started encoding my high res movies :) ).

So 5 movies = 7.5 GB.
Now if you want to put 150 albums of music, considering 100 MB per album (which would be pretty well encoded music, more often it's about 60 MB per album), that's 15 GB.
Add about 1 GB of podcasts (that's about 15 hours worth of podcasts), and 1 GB of applications (again, an overestimation).

That gives us a total of 7.5 + 15 + 1 + 1 = 24.5 GB taken out of the 64GB iPad's 59.

34.5 GB left, or 40% of the iPad filled up. That's a lot of space left. And e-magazines, etc. won't take that much space compared to a movie, for isntance.

So yes, I think 64GB will definitely be enough for most people. :p

Agreed....as for storage...the OS is stored on a flash device that is seperate from the storage flash...so when you get the 64GB you get 64GB...Mac recently started actually calculating differently tho and calling 64,000MB to be 64GB....so if you mount it to a Mac it will in fact say you have 64GB but on a windows machine it will say about 60GB...it really is arbitrary....you are getting 64,000MB tho.

Guillaume

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so if you mount it to a Mac it will in fact say you have 64GB but on a windows machine it will say about 60GB

But a file that is 1 MB on a computer that uses (2^10) measurements will be 1 048 576 bytes on a computer that uses the (10^3) measurement. So in the end you can store the exact same amount of data, no matter which computer you use.

Most reactions

Latest posts