What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Updates and Backup

rayres

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am running iPad OS15 and am wondering about automatic updates and backup and have questions:

1. What happens if I backup overnight and accidentally unplug the power the next morning before it finishes? What happens if I run out of room? How long will backup take? Could it take days? Will it tell me it's backing up?
2. If I auto update and auto install, does it install iPadOs16 or the latest version of 15? Does it download overnight and then tell me when I can install it at a future date? (Apple says it warns you before installing the new update, so I assume it won't install overnight the same night it downloads.) When I install the update, do I just have to leave it plugged in and connected overnight and wake up with the install done?

Thanks.

Rob

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just updated from 15.7 to 16.1 over wifi. I never use auto-update for anything. When I checked for the update in Settings/General, it said I was up to date, but offered an opportunity to update to 16.1. I tapped the update button, and it took about an hour to download, verify, etc., before it rebooted and asked for my passcode. At some point (I don't recall just when) there was a "download and install" link to select. After that, I went for a walk and did other things while it proceeded unattended. When it asked for my passcode, it failed to present a keyboard to enter it, but after putting the iPad to sleep and waking it again with the Home button, the keyboard reappeared and everything was fine.

If you start with a full charge, it won't matter if it gets unplugged. It doesn't take that long.

Most reactions

Latest posts