What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Augen 7" Android Tablet, $149 at K-Mart: iPad killer?

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An iPad killer would have to be able to get content, more content than Apple can give us. How could this be possible? Is it possible?

Well it connects to the same Internet as our ipads, and probably supports Flash, and the Kindle reader, so not only possible, but probable.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are looking for a media player, it might actually play more formats without the hassle of iTunes.

I dont think anyone thinks this is "better" than an iPad in an all-around assessment. Its $150 and it probably does some things well. Why does everyone have to look down their nose and call it crap? If it works for you and fits your budget, buy it. I wish them great success.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK so I watched the reviews. I'm the kind of person that has a couple hundred hanging around to try on the latest and greatest gadget - but to be honest I'll probably pass on this one. It looks, at least to me, like a POS.

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
That's interesting. I own a nexus one - with supposedly the same OS - and, I agree with with the poster who said that this device was not made to be a iPad killer. My phone seems more smoother than this device, judging from the videos.

kdevine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Certainly not an iPad killer.

I can not imagine anyone that wants an iPad buying this thing instead.

I wanted an iPad, and I bought this. I'll tell you why.

$150 < $500

I have, perhaps, $50 a month to spend on extras (not food, utilities, etc.) meaning that I would have to save money for almost a year to buy an iPad, or I can get this in 3 months. I had been saving for the iPad, but this suits my needs. I wanted something that the kids could watch videos, listen to music and play games. My 4-year old knows how to use a stylus from the DS, so he can play games on this.

It is a simple equation, the iPad costs too much...

AndroidDroid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The launch version was buggy as hell but according to the promises they made about their next patch that should come out next week, the Gentouch should be quite awesome for the price!
Updates On The Next Patch! | Augen Gentouch
I really like the idea of a cheap iPad alternative. If only the battery technology would be as advanced as everything that run on batteries :(
If the Augen Gentouch or other similar little devices would run like 5 days without having to recharge now that would be a evolution! I think that we`ll see $150 tablets with 3g, wifi and gps in few months!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

$150 < $500

I have, perhaps, $50 a month to spend on extras (not food, utilities, etc.) meaning that I would have to save money for almost a year to buy an iPad, or I can get this in 3 months. I had been saving for the iPad, but this suits my needs. I wanted something that the kids could watch videos, listen to music and play games. My 4-year old knows how to use a stylus from the DS, so he can play games on this.

It's your choice based on your budget no one elses. The iPad does not suit every one and much as you would like one it is out of reach for you. I believe Apple will release a smaller 7 inch iPad by fall in USA which will have a lower price point.
The iPad is great value for the money and pricing I believe is spot on

It is all about what you want and if the shoe fits wear it

Emepegel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm starting to think that most people are more in love with the gadget and it's capacities than what it really does. Somewhat like a toy. The iPad is a culture distributor, that's where it's power lies.
Very good pinpoint and there's certainly a part of truth in that. And it's linked to this unique characteristic that an enterprise, Apple, has real fans all around the world, not fans that support only what's done/released, but are interested above cold reason.

That said, the current ipad killer is that Apple hasn't found yet how make understand that such device is a real life changer.

The second point, is I didn't believed at all in iPad, was curious but made the step from my parents that mentioned it to me and I tried it for them, and well finally keep it (I have a traitor spirit :D ). And then I realized there was something handy and special but not that easy to explain with pure logic. But since then it's obvious for me that sooner or later, clones will come and will overload the market and will bring a more freedom approach but also a more "computer like" approach. Either from Google, either from Microsoft.

Currently a point that is killing clones is none have an app base like in app store, from very far, and that is coming from iphone/ipod app base and dynamic.

Emepegel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...not fans that support only what's done/released, but are interested above cold reason....
I correct: not fans that support all what's done/released..

Remark: Woo I can't edit my posts? That's rather awful, I never stick long to rare forums like that. :(

kdevine

iPF Noob
Reaction score

$150 < $500

It's your choice based on your budget no one elses. The iPad does not suit every one and much as you would like one it is out of reach for you. I believe Apple will release a smaller 7 inch iPad by fall in USA which will have a lower price point.

I was not disputing that the iPad is a good value, more that it simply costs more. Can an iPad deliver a better experience than the Augen, absolutely! But, at a difference in price that, unfortunately, made it difficult to purchase (hence the reason I drive a 150cc Motor Scooter instead of a Harley...)

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

$150 < $500

I was not disputing that the iPad is a good value, more that it simply costs more. Can an iPad deliver a better experience than the Augen, absolutely! But, at a difference in price that, unfortunately, made it difficult to purchase (hence the reason I drive a 150cc Motor Scooter instead of a Harley...)
Not to mention, there are likely things this Augen can do that the ipad cant. For most of us, those dont matter, for others it make make it worthwhile. For example, if you need to be able to access network folders...

Most reactions

Latest posts