What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audible

klehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anyone out there familiar with Audible? It is site to buy audiobooks. Anyway, I would like to purchase books right from my iPad, which is fine, but when I go to download my book, it tells me I cannot download on Safari. I went to help on the audible site and it tells me to configure iTunes for audible. iPad has iPod not iTunes right? I do have audiobooks on my iPad but these were transferred from my pc. I guess I am asking if anyone knows if I can download a book directly to my iPad.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
Not now. Audible says they will have an iphone/ipad app sometime this summer. But for now you can't do it. You might try the overdrive app. It requires your local library be a member, and it doesn't have a ton of books. But it will probably have enough to tide you over until Audible gets an app.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
nope, you must buy from audible, download and sync it over via itunes.

Or, you could download audio books from itunes music store. Apple sells audible audio books in the itunes music store. only catch is that I dont think you get your free book downloads that way. each purches in itunes is an actual purchase.

Ralph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More expensive from iTunes store

nope, you must buy from audible, download and sync it over via itunes.
Or, you could download audio books from itunes music store. Apple sells audible audio books in the itunes music store. only catch is that I dont think you get your free book downloads that way. each purches in itunes is an actual purchase.

Content from Audible is a little more expensive at the iTunes store than from Amazon, which has acquired Audible. But if you buy from Amazon, you will have to download your audio onto the ipad via iTunes.

It's a good bet Audible/Amazon will be providing a free Audible app for iPad, because they have one for iPhone. At that point it should be easy to download directly from Audible onto an iPad.

Audible has always been awkward to use, prone to failure in downloading purchases, and again prone to failure when trying to play purchased audio. I'm hoping Amazon will improve that situation now that they own Audible!!

Ralph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But Kindle books are great in the iPad

in contrast with the current awkwardness of getting Audible content onto an iPad, Amazon offers a great free iPad app that allows us to purchase and read Kindle books on our iPads. In fact, it works so well that I've been reading more books since I got my iPad. I didn't expect to enjoy reading on this device as much as I do.

The iPad has a great future ahead, but it has a long way to go in software development. Right now it's awkward to use in many small ways. I especially miss having arrow keys! They are banned from the iPad because, I suspect, Steve Jobs thinks arrow keys are evil. in fact, he tried to exclude them from the original Macintosh... but cooler heads prevailed that time. Now Jobs is so revered, and has created so much value and success, that it's difficult to argue he's really just wrong about something.

But of course everyone is wrong about something.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
Audible now has an ipad (really iphone) app. Works fine, you can download directly. I have been using it for the past couple weeks.

I am a big fan of audible. I have about 400 books. The subscription is the way to go, much cheaper per book.

Honestly, I have rarely had a problem with downloading or playing. I primarily use it on my phone or now ipad and almost never use the computer software, so maybe I am avoiding other people's problem. But I think it is a great service.

Also if you do sign up for a subscription, make sure you look for the $100 rebate. I think it comes as a credit on Amazon now.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the Audible App and Audible books. I ran into a problem recently when I got the iPad because I already had the App installed on my iPod and my Android phone. My wife has it on her iPod and we ran out of devices it could be used on. Had to call them to disable it on all of our devices so we could re-negotiate which devices it would be used on.

Right now I am sticking with it just on the iPod and Evo 4G, they are far more portable when I just want to listen while walking or exercising.

Just so you all know, the Audible app is great. But be aware there is a limitation to the number of devices you can download books too.

pinky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Response to your audible question

You cannot use safari for the audible. the best thing to do is to download it to you itune on you computer and sink it to you ipad. the prob with that is the ipad may not take all of you books.

Is anyone out there familiar with ? It is site to buy audiobooks. Anyway, I would like to purchase books right from my iPad, which is fine, but when I go to download my book, it tells me I cannot download on Safari. I went to help on the audible site and it tells me to configure iTunes for audible. iPad has iPod not iTunes right? I do have audiobooks on my iPad but these were transferred from my pc. I guess I am asking if anyone knows if I can download a book directly to my iPad.

jhatzis99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have recently joined Audible and have the app installed on my ipad and iphone. Am I correct in my understanding that books I am currently reading do not sync across devices???? I usually listen on my ipad while at home or at beach but then would like to continue listening while running, etc. I have not found a way to sync where I left off on ipad and automatically pick up on iphone.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have recently joined Audible and have the app installed on my ipad and iphone. Am I correct in my understanding that books I am currently reading do not sync across devices???? I usually listen on my ipad while at home or at beach but then would like to continue listening while running, etc. I have not found a way to sync where I left off on ipad and automatically pick up on iphone.

There's no synching feature, unfortunately.

There's a bookmark feature, so you could mark a place, but the bookmarks don't seem to synch. (I've tried it only once, so I could be wrong.) They let you "share" bookmarks, so maybe you could share to a social network site like Facebook and find your place on another device that way, but that seems like a pain.

I'd love a synching feature. Without it, I tend to listen to different books on different devices, so I pick up where I left off.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There's no synching feature, unfortunately.

There's a bookmark feature, so you could mark a place, but the bookmarks don't seem to synch. (I've tried it only once, so I could be wrong.) They let you "share" bookmarks, so maybe you could share to a social network site like Facebook and find your place on another device that way, but that seems like a pain.

I'd love a synching feature. Without it, I tend to listen to different books on different devices, so I pick up where I left off.

Great news: The latest Audible app upgrade includes synching across devices.

The only catch: Your device has to be synched to the cloud (so Audible can note where you last stopped). So if either of your devices lacks a connection, you're out of luck.

All the same, I'm excited about this new feature.

(Note that it works with iOS 4.2.1 or greater, and won't work on some older iDevices.)

Most reactions

Latest posts