What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ATT or Verizon??

Marty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im looking at buying an Ipad2 3G, and am wondering which network to sign up with?? My cell service is with niether so Im not partial to either. Also will one ipad work on both networks (not at the same time).

Any advice would be appreciated. I tried to search on the subject, but didn't find much. The pros and cons of each would be great!

Thanks in advance! Great site!

Last edited:

ClemsonRyan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards. To answer your questions, you cant use the 3G iPad with both providers. Verizon and AT&T have different iPads. For the provider that you should choose really depends on where you live. I use AT&T because they have a faster 3g network and much better service here. I would see who is better where your located, if they both are about the same then see what provider you can get a system from first.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you plan to take your iPad overseas then you should choose AT&T because their network uses GSM. Verizon use CDMA, which is not widely supported outside the USA. The two network protocols - GSM and CDMA - are completely different, so your Verizon iPad would not even work in Canada, let alone Europe, Africa, Australia, New Zealand etc.

Having said that, if you don't plan to take your iPad overseas, I'd look at the carrier's coverage maps to make certain you'll get good coverage in the areas you plan to use your iPad. As you're probably aware, outside urban areas cellular coverage is patchy in the US and varies pretty much on a carrier by carrier basis. So you easily find that the coverage is great for one carrier but non existant for another in an area you're visiting.

Enjoy your iPad

Tim
Scotland

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Verizons price plans are super expensive.

sadly I would go with ATT. Faster speeds and cheaper data plans.

Last edited:

Droidmakespwn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizons 3g may not be as quick as att but its hardly noticeable but I am going to +1 for verizon because they have by far the most 3g coverage in america. But get what's the most in the area you are going to be using it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

MsTapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose Verizon because they have great coverage in my rural location and they have wonderful customer service. Over the years I've used several providers and Verizon has been the best for me.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon has a cheaper data plan for moderate users (1gb or less). I found that I only use up to 700mb per month even with heavy online surfing.

ATT has terrible network congestion in some cities which can slow data speed to a crawl, make sure you check out performance in your area. Verizon's network is more robust across the US. For example, ATT iPhone users report twice the number of dropped calls compared to Verizon.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Verizon has a cheaper data plan for moderate users (1gb or less). I found that I only use up to 700mb per month even with heavy online surfing.

ATT has terrible network congestion in some cities which can slow data speed to a crawl, make sure you check out performance in your area. Verizon's network is more robust across the US. For example, ATT iPhone users report twice the number of dropped calls compared to Verizon.
yeah, but dropped calls and data are two separate things. Your not making calls with the ipad.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

yeah, but dropped calls and data are two separate things. Your not making calls with the ipad.

Dropped calls and slow data rates can both be caused by overcrowded networks. Where I live my Verizon iPad is almost twice as fast loading web pages as my ATT iPad during peak business hours, usually 2 - 6pm weekdays.

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose Verizon because they have great coverage in my rural location and they have wonderful customer service. Over the years I've used several providers and Verizon has been the best for me.

+1 especially for Maine.

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizons price plans are super expensive.

sadly I would go with ATT. Faster speeds and cheaper data plans.

Lol cheaper? Different pricing structure. ATT's cheapest plan is $15, but only includes 250mb of data, which would be used up as soon as you click on "send" when you are sending an email. VZW's cheapest plan is only $5 more, but comes with 1gb of data. From there, it goes back and forth. I prefer VZW's pricing structure. As far as ATT's data being faster, it is, but I sure don't notice much of a difference. I'd say, for the most part, you can't go wrong with either VZW or ATT, unless you need to travel internationally, then I'd go with ATT of course.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

drbf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with with Verizon due to the extensive coverage they have....

Blackhart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My setup
3G AT&T pad not hooked up version mifi 10g for $80 had for almost a year just got clears mifi for $65 5g plus unlimited 4g if I didn't do so much downloading I would just had one of the mifis I'm glad I paid extra for the 3G pad but for what I use it for I need more Gs
Something to think about what you'll be using it for you can eat up 2g pretty fast if you don't have a free wifi connection around

my your upside be better then your downside

Most reactions

Latest posts