What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T sucks & lies

rickm1350

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In a moving car, you will surely have bad reception. Try stopping for a minute or so. Pull off at an exit or rest stop and try again. When you are moving, the angular relationship between you and the tower is constantly changing, thus making data transmission very hard. Much harder than phone.

Angular relationship changing and making reception difficult? I've never heard of that one before, and I've worked in radio for over 25 years.

I chose not to get the iPad 3G, and got the WiFi version instead.

I purchased the Spring 4G Overdrive box instead. Yes, I know it's more expensive, but it works at 4G speeds here in Central CA.

On Memorial Day weekend, my son, grandson, and I went to Fresno. My son was using the Overdrive with his laptop all the way to Fresno. When we left Fresno, my son was on his laptop, and my grandson had my Netbook, both connected to the internet via Sprint's 4G Overdrive. I know my son was only surfing the internet, but my grandson was streaming a cartoon video. They both used it all the way home, a distance of about 60 miles... it never missed a beat, and the video never stopped.

I also hear people in the San Joaquin Valley of CA complain about AT&T, and especially those that live in the San Francisco area.

I believe that AT&T has oversold it's network and needs to invest in it's infrastructure.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In a moving car, you will surely have bad reception. Try stopping for a minute or so. Pull off at an exit or rest stop and try again. When you are moving, the angular relationship between you and the tower is constantly changing, thus making data transmission very hard. Much harder than phone.
Nope, shouldn't be the case at all. Your movement in a car is not fast enough or far enough...you aren't running away from a walkie talkie signal, you're running away from cell towers.

I use my Verizon phone for turn by turn navigation all the time, it works flawlessly.

The reason driving with AT&T gives you spotty coverage with 3G is because AT&T has so many gaps in coverage, not because you are driving. So you are constantly driving between good and bad spots.

AT&T has poor 3G coverage when you compare the entire nation, especially outside of major cities. That's just a fact.

att_3g_10c.jpg

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes I only get 200K to 300K sending and receiving, but lately I have been getting up to 3000K receiving. And mind you this is all from the same location.

Don't forget AT&T has made good on all of its' 1993 promises.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfIFDX9kE4"]YouTube - AT&T "You Will"[/ame]

josun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Whether or not it is fast or slow makes no difference if there is NO coverage. AT&T doesn't cover the area in 3G they say they do. 3G has two parts to it, coverage then speed. AT&T is missing that important first step. If one can't load speed makes no difference.

CM

I didn't say AT&T has the best coverage, only that they have the fastest speed and that verizon has the best coverage. But you're right, coverage is more important than the speed but it's also right that it's hard to get consistent 3G coverage while driving. Even Verizon suffers this, at least around my area. So to get better facts, one should test the coverage while stationed and see if he indeed has the coverage or not.

OP
CMFox

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Whether or not it is fast or slow makes no difference if there is NO coverage. AT&T doesn't cover the area in 3G they say they do. 3G has two parts to it, coverage then speed. AT&T is missing that important first step. If one can't load speed makes no difference.

CM

I didn't say AT&T has the best coverage, only that they have the fastest speed and that verizon has the best coverage. But you're right, coverage is more important than the speed but it's also right that it's hard to get consistent 3G coverage while driving. Even Verizon suffers this, at least around my area. So to get better facts, one should test the coverage while stationed and see if he indeed has the coverage or not.

Well, I guess that is what I am doing.....driving the USA. Currently we are in Loveland CO, here there is 3G.

In the Rockies later today I have no expectations of any service.

CM

rickm1350

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Where did you get all that information? I hate to tell you this, but cellphone voice is data also... it's digital... been that way for quite a few years now...

data is data, it's all a bunch of 0's and 1's... doesn't matter if it's voice or if it's iPad internet information, it's still all data.

some radio transmit and receive systems use diversity antennas. When one antenna is in a receive null, the other is likely to have good reception. I don't see those antenna systems so much anymore.

Most reactions

Latest posts