What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal hotspot

Erik hadley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At first when I heard about the personal hotspot to use between iPhone 4 and iPad I thought it was gonna be a great idea, but as usual with AT&T there is no such thing as a free lunch. Called them today after doing the upgrade from iTunes and wanted to find out about how it works. Well after being transferred to India or god knows where and talking to some guy probably living in a mud hut answering phones that can barely speak English what I got out of it was if I signed up for it I lose my unlimited data plan of $30 a month and can NEVER go back to it and the new plan will be $45 a month for 4gb of data.
So , I guess my question is this ... First is it AT&T "s goal to see exactly how many people can possibly hate them for their useless network of dropped calls and spotty 3G coverage? And secondly, who in their right mind is gonna give up unlimited data to switch to 4gb AND pay more for it?
I'll just buy the data plan on the iPad when I would happen to need it occasionally (very rarely) and still come out ahead even paying more for just the 2 gb that the iPad plan is for.
So, am I the only one feeling this way? Would love to hear some other opinions on it.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Me 2, although I think you can jailbreak the IPAD and tether to your phone.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Living in the UK, I am surprised by the lack of competition. Here we have at least six separate service providers all competing with one another and all offering 'all you can eat' packages. Such restrictions would be commercial suicide here. I pay $30/month for an unlimited package and the service provider has 98% coverage of the UK - all in 3G - i.e. no EDGE or GPRS. OK - the UK is a small, densely populated country, so getting that sort of coverage is relatively easy, but it still surprises me that other operators don't enter the market. If my service provider were to try to impose such conditions, I'd vote with my feet and switch to another company.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts