What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T Payment Failed

gojeffrey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gojeffrey.com
This is just an FYI for anyone else who may have a similar issue.

I received an email this morning from AT&T with the subject heading "AT&T Payment Failed". It went on to say, "We attempted to automatically renew your Unlimited data for 30 days for $29.99 rate plan. Please update your credit card information and re-select a plan to continue service via Settings on your iPad."

I checked my account on the iPad and sure enough, the data plan was expired and my only options were to select the 250MB or the 2GB plan. The part that really had me confounded was that my credit card information was all correct and up to date. Previous months had auto-renewed without incident.

So, ready for battle, I called AT&T. When they asked if my inquiry was related to the phone number from which I was calling, I selected the "No" option and then entered the cellular number associated with my iPad (you can find this in your cellular account settings). After a remarkably short time on hold, I was connected to a live person. I explained the email and the situation and asked if she could help sort this out. I kept my tone very polite and friendly. She looked at my account and admitted that she had no idea why the auto-renewal failed, but assured me that she could resolve the matter. First she asked me to reset my network settings, which did not work. Then she asked me to enroll in the 2GB plan, which would then allow her to switch it back to the unlimited plan on her end. That was it. She had me verify on my iPad that the account now reflected the unlimited data plan and that I was able to access the internet on 3G before ending the call.

I was surprised by how simple it was to resolve this. I didn't have to request to speak to a supervisor or yell and scream, not even once. If anyone else has this issue, try the above approach and you should be back in business in no time.

Keep in mind that I contacted AT&T the same day I got the email. I don't know how successful this would have been had I waited several days or weeks. Oh, and this also reminds me; remember to update your payment information before your credit card expires. This would obviously lead to the same issue.

Cheers! :)

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OMG An AT&T....

FANBOY! :D

You sir are uncommonly too positive about AT&T.

It took me a long time to learn that "You can draw more flies with honey."

Last edited:

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem when my plan was up for renewal early Saturday morning. I checked email before going to bed and found the same notice.

First I went to my bank and got a copy of the credit authorization which showed exactly when they placed the charge against my card and that it had been approved. There was a transaction number and an authorization number.

Next I went to the AT&T store where I was first told that I needed to go to Apple. Then they told me my SIM card was probably burned out. Lastly I was told to delete all my information and set up a new account.

Since I have already paid $30 for this month's unlimited plan extension I am not going to give AT&T any more money.

Finally I convinced the people that when they send me a message saying they can't bill my credit card it is a billing issue and not a hardware issue. But they can't do anything about an iPad account in an AT&T store. That can only be handled by Customer Care and although there is a counter marked customer care with three computer terminals and telephones there is no Customer Care in the store (this is Times Square, NYC - lots of luck if you live in a really big place) so they have to put me on the telephone with someone in a call center (at least she had a US accent).

They say they have no record of the transaction and wanted me to sign up for a new plan. If they eventually found my money they would refund it. But then I would be left with a capped plan rather than the unlimited plan to which I am entitled.

Eventually I faxed the papers my bank had given me but they can't use any of that because it doesn't have the bank's name on it. So they are going to have someone do some research to see why they have no record of having charged my card but it will take a long while because they don't have any information about where the money was supposed to come from. Isn't my bank information the first part of the charge card number? And wouldn't it shorten the search process if you used the information provided by the bank which, although it doesn't have the bank's name, has my name, my charge card number, AT&T's name and tracking numbers for the payment. Or even write down the name of my bank which they weren't interested in.

I have since received a 250 MB credit on my plan so they could email me to ask for my bank's FAX number. It has been nearly a week and my iPad is basically bricked since almost all the apps I use on a regular basis require a net connection.

I am convinced that this is a scam to get people off the unlimited plans.

No matter how good the iPad user experience is, the Android tablets are going to be successful because of the AT&T experience.

OP
gojeffrey

gojeffrey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gojeffrey.com

I agree. They don't want anyone to have unlimited data because they can get more money with the capped plans. Otherwise, there would be some sort of grace period after sending you the payment failed notice to give you time to sort things out and retain your unlimited plan. Of course you can get your unlimited plan back - I did - but it does take some effort. AT&T seems to be taking the passive-aggressive approach to killing unlimited data access, one "mistake" at a time.

Gavinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing just happened to me. Chase Bank decided the charge appeared fraudulent and denied it. Now I don't have the option for the unlimited plan.
What a pain in the arse!

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can understand the issue.. However do any of you use over 2gb of data a month?

Personally after working in and around cell towers I can understand the limits (to prevent streaming; 2,000 users surfing the web can = 800 people streaming leaving 1,200 people with spotty 3G service).

Sorry, but I can't feel sorry for people who expect it to just work like magic..

And to set things straight, I too wish unlimited was an option. I also wish my truck got 30mpg too.

thehatguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.greatthreads.com
I had the same message. I received new debit cards and had forgotten to update many accounts.

Called AT&T within minutes of receiving their email. Customer service was fantastic and said don't worry. You've got 10 days to rectify the situation.

In my case, after updating with the new debit card info., AT&T evidently tried the auto-renewal again and this time it went through.

I'm a happy camper thanks to AT&T customer service.

John

bdegrande

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the same message, but it was legitimate in my case, as the credit card I had been using had been compromised and replaced. I was able to update my credit card info, and still select the unlimited plan (this was on the same day, a few hours after I had gotten the payment failed email).

OP
gojeffrey

gojeffrey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gojeffrey.com
I can understand the issue.. However do any of you use over 2gb of data

Not always, but I have exceeded 2GB on certain months. I use the hell out of the 3G option.

Sorry, but I can't feel sorry for people who expect it to just work like magic..

No need. It DOES work like magic! :)

And to set things straight, I too wish unlimited was an option.

Unlimited data is an option. For some of us. :p

CrazyCorpsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the same happen to me over night. Called ATT this morning, and apparently they updated some computer system last night and now their call center is closed until 11:00 today.

I'll be calling them when they open or maybe the issue will fix itself (probably not). Sounds to me their trying to get rid of their unlimited data plan users :)

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kc2ped said:
I had the same problem when my plan was up for renewal early Saturday morning. I checked email before going to bed and found the same notice.

First I went to my bank and got a copy of the credit authorization which showed exactly when they placed the charge against my card and that it had been approved. There was a transaction number and an authorization number.

Next I went to the AT&T store where I was first told that I needed to go to Apple. Then they told me my SIM card was probably burned out. Lastly I was told to delete all my information and set up a new account.

Since I have already paid $30 for this month's unlimited plan extension I am not going to give AT&T any more money.

Finally I convinced the people that when they send me a message saying they can't bill my credit card it is a billing issue and not a hardware issue. But they can't do anything about an iPad account in an AT&T store. That can only be handled by Customer Care and although there is a counter marked customer care with three computer terminals and telephones there is no Customer Care in the store (this is Times Square, NYC - lots of luck if you live in a really big place) so they have to put me on the telephone with someone in a call center (at least she had a US accent).

They say they have no record of the transaction and wanted me to sign up for a new plan. If they eventually found my money they would refund it. But then I would be left with a capped plan rather than the unlimited plan to which I am entitled.

Eventually I faxed the papers my bank had given me but they can't use any of that because it doesn't have the bank's name on it. So they are going to have someone do some research to see why they have no record of having charged my card but it will take a long while because they don't have any information about where the money was supposed to come from. Isn't my bank information the first part of the charge card number? And wouldn't it shorten the search process if you used the information provided by the bank which, although it doesn't have the bank's name, has my name, my charge card number, AT&T's name and tracking numbers for the payment. Or even write down the name of my bank which they weren't interested in.

I have since received a 250 MB credit on my plan so they could email me to ask for my bank's FAX number. It has been nearly a week and my iPad is basically bricked since almost all the apps I use on a regular basis require a net connection.

No matter how good the iPad user experience is, the Android tablets are going to be successful because of the AT&T experience.

I have been going round about this with AT&T since I got my notice and have finally gotten a new email from them stating that at my request they have cancelled my account and if I want a data plan I should sign up for a new one, which of course will be capped. It is time to turn this over to the Better Business Bureau and/or the Attorney General.

Willpower101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just called att with the same problem. It was unusually easy.

She explained that in the future, I always have a 7 day grace for billing issues.

I also call 1-800-331-0500 for the ipad/data dept.

Read on some other forums that normally csr's don't know jack.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeff, att and apple have one thing in company in addition to selling products. They want to make money!!! Most people do not go thru the headache of calling. They just click tap click tap. Settle for the 25+ tax 2gb plan and feel like theyre saving 5 bucks. Att banks on it. They sleep good knowing that lazy ppl exist. But they know some people will call and complain and give sad stories (not u but ppl). Or those cases, they have a short step by step To get u on your way.

Long story short. It's a scam. They make re computers scam you. Don't fall for it.

Get yo moneys worf.

Props of politeness though!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts