What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T or VERIZON 4G??

frankieo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DOes it matter which you get or is it just preference? Does one model have benefits over the other?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Verizon currently has far more LTE coverage and is offering free hotspot feature with any data plan.

AT&T when out of LTE coverage will fall back to a faster 3G network then Verizon's 3G network. AT&T has yet to announce any word on allowing hotspot feature.

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It really depends on where you live. AT&T has a bigger "3.5G" network (faster than regular 3G, but not quite full 4G, but AT&T calls it 4G), but Verizon's LTE network is apparently much bigger than AT&T's LTE network (LTE is the full 4G that you really want). I have AT&T, but that is really b/c I have a legacy unlimited data plan. I also commute from NYC to NJ and AT&T has LTE for about 3/4 of my commute. The LTE of AT&T is really fast. I assume Verizon's LTE network is also fast. I think the AT&T LTE may be a bit faster than Verizon, but I'm not sure how material the difference is (you can find that info on the internet).

geobernd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with AT&T for two reasons:
The 3.5G network covers the area I usually spend my weekends where Verizon LTE is not yet to be found.
My Droid 3 (I know - I am an Android/iOS mix) is on Verizon - so having the iPad on AT&T gives me a slightly higher chance of getting data in remote areas...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those who are not legacy users, the lowest users and the extreme users are going to prefer Verizon pricewise. The bulk of users will prefer the 3 Gb from AT&T as a better buy than Verizon who allows only 2 Gb for the same $30/mo. Coverage is anyone's guess, because it is constantly changing. Verizon has a head start, but AT&T seems to be rolling out LTE faster and may catch up. Where 4G LTE is not available, AT&T has faster 3G and 3G based HSPA+. Look at the coverage for both in your area of use, what they have announced as coming, and the reputation of each in your area.

In my area, I am using AT&T for my iPad and the 4G service is fabulous from the short time I have used it. I also really enjoyed the 3G service on my old iPad. Two years ago, it was new to the area, and within a year, it was everwhere I travel, which is a lot. But, I also use Verizon on my cell phone and and I have no issues or complaints with their service. It is not a smart phone, so I cannot compare data coverage. However, I travel frequently into Colorado. There are large areas with one or the other coverage but not both. I often wind up swapping between my iPad and cell phone when traveling there. Makes carrier choice a local issue more than anything else.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone know of maybe a site that gives one an idea of how much data for each GB?? I'm going with the very cheapest of 1 GB on Verizon since we have so much wifi everywhere here. I'm sure I'll increase some months quite a bit when we travel.

Also, I thought I understood that there would be an alert when you get close to your data max. Did I dream it LOL or is it indeed a fact?

kennyob46

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hspa+

I live on long island and have the at&t unlimited plan(which is the only reason I stayed with them).There is no 4g lte here yet,but we have the hspa+.So far,I'm not too impressed compared to the 3G service I had before.Web pages
Seem to load not much faster.

Nightstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went with Verizon. For the following reasons.

1) The Unlimited AT&T I had was getting chewed up by them to the point of not that unlimited any more.
2) Verizon has the hotspot.
3) My normal usage is around 1/2GB per month and I am out and about all day long.
4) The area I am in is more solid Verizon than AT&T.
5) At 1GB per 30 days at 20. I actually save money over the 30 for the same time.

One surprise I had was LTE in the house!

cinequip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also went with Verizon, for these additional reasons:

1) iphone is on AT&T, so now I have ability to use best carrier for area I may be in at the time.
2) Had a Verizon MiFi hotspot that had terrible battery life, and couldn't be used while charging - ipad hotspot replaces that.
3) Was paying $45/mo to AT&T for DataPro 4G hotspot service, now will drop to $30 plan.
4) Was paying $50/mo for Verizon MiFi for 5GB, now paying $30 for iPad 2GB plan.
5) Both data plans now cost $60/mo, before was $95 per month.
6) AT&T "4G" isn't really 4G. ios 5.1 just changed the symbol from 3G to 4G - no change in speed. Verizon LTE is often 20GB up and down.

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went with Verizon. For the following reasons.

1) The Unlimited AT&T I had was getting chewed up by them to the point of not that unlimited any more.
Re getting chewed up by AT&T, my understanding is that AT&T has said that they will not throttle 4G or LTE.

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, dumb question. If you signed up with At&T data plan for the iPad2 and want to switch to Verizon, can you do it? I'm told you are stuck with your original choice. Is this true? Thanks, Julie

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad uses a prepaid plan. You pay month by month and can stop any time. However, you can not use a AT&T iPad on Verizon or vise versa, because they use different. On the iPad 2, I believe they had both phone systems on the cell chips, but I cannot verify that. If so, it means switching carriers is only a matter of changing sim cards.

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Seadog. I think I had a choice of plans when I bought. I'll check it out.

Most reactions

Latest posts