What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T 3G network overseas

michaelruggeri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My question is about the 3G network on the iPad. Is this the same 3G network that is advertised on TV where you see Bill Kurtis getting the internet in the far flung corners of the world, or is that another AT&T network? If it is the same network, does this mean we can take our iPad around the world with us and get internet reception? Does anyone know? And if that is the case, do you get charged extra beyond the $30 a month unlimited plan for the iPad?

Thanks for any responses.

Mike

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes the iPad will work overseas with your AT&T service. And yes it cost more to roam internationally. Since the iPad is unlocked, price wise you would probably be better off buying a pay-as-you-go plan from a provider in the country you are visiting.

OP
M

michaelruggeri

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T and Rogers in Canada

IVan says AT&T is affiliated with Rogers in Canada. Do you think this may mean that one can use the 3G AT&T plan in Canada on the Rogers network without an extra charge?

Mike

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. You always pay extra when roaming out of the US. iVAn was pointing out that when roaming in Canda you will use the Rogers network.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IVan says AT&T is affiliated with Rogers in Canada. Do you think this may mean that one can use the 3G AT&T plan in Canada on the Rogers network without an extra charge?

Mike

No. You always pay extra when roaming out of the US. iVAn was pointing out that when roaming in Canda you will use the Rogers network.
I said more that it's likely that Rogers/AT&T would be the providers in Canada because or their noted affiliation but there is still no definite news about it.

Other contenders are Bell and Telus. They also have 3G and iPhone clients...

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My question is about the 3G network on the iPad. Is this the same 3G network that is advertised on TV where you see Bill Kurtis getting the internet in the far flung corners of the world, or is that another AT&T network? If it is the same network, does this mean we can take our iPad around the world with us and get internet reception? Does anyone know? And if that is the case, do you get charged extra beyond the $30 a month unlimited plan for the iPad?

Thanks for any responses.

Mike

The answer is it s expensive as its called roaming I would use wifi in Australia If you like burgers naccas offers free access or buy a prepaid card that will apply in any country you go to out side of north america. It is NO different than a mobile phone

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More from me Frankly I would use wifi in other countries as its free and faster as i said in a recent post Australia ( 15 hours by 747 many years by boat ) does yes it does have free wifi but limited Back packers and tourists not to mention locals all know the spots Mac Donalds is one of them So one can down load files do every thing you want for free at the hot spots In Brisbane city 1 kl ( col thinks how many miles that is ) Queen street and the mall is hot wired , that is all free so hope that helps. Many cafes also offer free wifi access also

colin down under

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
International Roaming fees will kill you. BEWARE !!!!

There will be two options:

1. Buy local pre paid cards, for Germany "Blau" or "Simyo". Both offer 1GB for about $15/month and offer Micro-Sims !!!!

2. Other than in the US, most wireless Hotspots are NOT free of charge in Europe. But, again in Germany, you get one hour per day free access at any McDonalds.

You can also get T-Mobile-Hotspots at every european Starbucks and german McDonalds.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts