What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assistive touch icon removed and why.....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's always good to hear of a user discovering something new about his iPad. Thanks for your post.
Sometimes the obvious is only so after you've discovered it.

A. GOODWIN

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am the opposite .I was about to post
A new thread on using assistive touches one tap for screenshots I only discovered last week .I like it for several reasons and the best reason is this. Let's say you are trying to fit a photo of whatever in a space that is already outlined and it is to big . So you go to your photos app select your pick to use and you think you are cropping to a smaller size. Well actually your not .when you crop to the smallest of pic or to fit the space it formats the pic and increases in size and cuts edges off . In other
words you can't focus it down to your size unless you have a smaller pic.
And if you retake the pic from a distance to make smaller it works then , but it's blurry ,and out of focus especially if there is text involved. So here is what I do. Go photos , select your pic bring it up to crop THEN(do not crop though) tap done and pic will wait a moment for you to make a command on what you want to do with it. While it is in this mode you can pinch screen to zoom in or out without losing its focus.Once you have the desired size it's rather difficult to take a screen shot when you have to hold this pinched in with one hand ,hold sleep button in , and tap the home button all at the same time. I use to put a wood chopstick between teeth and use it to press home button . Huhuhaha . It worked great though . If you let go in the slightest of the pinch it will kik the pic
back to photos and you will have to start all over again. Using assistive touch one tap you have a free hand and you can do away with the ridiculous way you look and the chopsticks!huhuhaha . I like the assistive touch too and for years I never used it for I always think of it as a tool for those who are physically impaired and it really doesn't apply to me sorta respect it in a sense for those who are .Any way I may post a better detailed step by step on how to do this for others who may not understand this reply

OP
I

islandman

I am the opposite .I was about to post
A new thread on using assistive touches one tap for screenshots I only discovered last week .I like it for several reasons and the best reason is this. Let's say you are trying to fit a photo of whatever in a space that is already outlined and it is to big . So you go to your photos app select your pick to use and you think you are cropping to a smaller size. Well actually your not .when you crop to the smallest of pic or to fit the space it formats the pic and increases in size and cuts edges off . In other
words you can't focus it down to your size unless you have a smaller pic.
And if you retake the pic from a distance to make smaller it works then , but it's blurry ,and out of focus especially if there is text involved. So here is what I do. Go photos , select your pic bring it up to crop THEN(do not crop though) tap done and pic will wait a moment for you to make a command on what you want to do with it. While it is in this mode you can pinch screen to zoom in or out without losing its focus.Once you have the desired size it's rather difficult to take a screen shot when you have to hold this pinched in with one hand ,hold sleep button in , and tap the home button all at the same time. I use to put a wood chopstick between teeth and use it to press home button . Huhuhaha . It worked great though . If you let go in the slightest of the pinch it will kik the pic
back to photos and you will have to start all over again. Using assistive touch one tap you have a free hand and you can do away with the ridiculous way you look and the chopsticks!huhuhaha . I like the assistive touch too and for years I never used it for I always think of it as a tool for those who are physically impaired and it really doesn't apply to me sorta respect it in a sense for those who are .Any way I may post a better detailed step by step on how to do this for others who may not understand this reply

OP
I

islandman

Well young man, I've read your post and I did understand it and I have every intention of trying it out. When I do, and if it works, no, I'm sure it will, I will report back. Since I removed the assistive touch button, I have experimented pressing the top and home button and find it better for me. Therein is the secret. All these things are what we make of them. Some people find some procedures difficult whilst others smirk and say how easy they are. I am in the category of saying "I will try anything once, twice if I like it".

A. GOODWIN

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well young man, I've read your post and I did understand it and I have every intention of trying it out. When I do, and if it works, no, I'm sure it will, I will report back. Since I removed the assistive touch button, I have experimented pressing the top and home button and find it better for me. Therein is the secret. All these things are what we make of them. Some people find some procedures difficult whilst others smirk and say how easy they are. I am in the category of saying "I will try anything once, twice if I like it".

A. GOODWIN

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well thank you island man .you are right. It really does matter as to what one may be more comfortable with. I too like you will give things a chance and for a first time and more often than not a second and third . It is the discovery of things and the willing to learn from others that make it possible is awesome. I agree with you that the screen button sometimes is interfering, but for what I do with it is different than you
and what you do with is different from me it benefits you best.I like the part about how you discovered it on your own . And took time to share your input on this . I played around with what I figured out for several days and hit home with it to find when applied it worked beautifully. Good job on both discovery s Thanks for your reply back

OP
I

islandman

The thing is, often we pick up things from other users and get tempted to give things a try. Then nothing. Rarely do we read of how the test goes. In this case, we both learnt. Hopefully if anyone chooses to read this thread they might pick up on how useful it is to give feed-back.

OP
I

islandman

Hey islandman ,sorry to take so long to reply back,I only saw this today and had I known I would have in the very least acknowledged your reply ,my apologies
Not to worry, I have often forgotten such as this. The thing is hopefully it has been resolved.

Most reactions

Latest posts