What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you upset about this?

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is quite a furor going on at Amazon about the pricing of Ken Follett's book, FALL OF GIANTS on Kindle. It is $ 19.99 for the Kindle and LESS for the hardcover. It is being trashed by reviewers for this reason. No one wants to pay more than $ 9.99 for an ebook. I agree.

My question, is the iPad crowd annoyed by this too? It is $ 19.99 I believe in the iBook store.

2ndsteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vote with your pocketbook

I have found the best way to protest high price is to not purchase it. The seller will quickly get the message. If you just hollar about the price and still buy it then the seller know's your not serious.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found the best way to protest high price is to not purchase it. The seller will quickly get the message. If you just hollar about the price and still buy it then the seller know's your not serious.
Better yet you find yourself another author. My used to be favorite author overpriced on books as well so after searching quite a bit and asking on forums I found myself James lee burke whose books are much better and cheaper to buy.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ebook pricing issue isn't that much different to digital music or film really - the pricing is all over the place while they work out how much people are willing to pay. I don't tend to buy that much digitally, when I can buy the physical item for the same or marginally more.

I bought Terry Pratchett's latest Discworld novel via amazon kindle as it was about £6, compared to £15 best price for the hardback. However, the iBook price was the same as the hardback, and Tesco eBook's was actually more than they sell the hardback for. I just irritates me as while digital distribution isn't free (hosting and bandwidth does cost money), it is still significantly cheaper than selling a 'real' book. Given there is also no second hand market for ebooks, the whole situation really annoys me.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They set the price at what they think people will pay. Its a risk on their part to set it higher because people may rebel and refuse. Its does irritate me that ebooks are priced the way they are. The cost the publisher MUCH less to distribute than paper.

Then there is this paper book...
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3836500086/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_jdp_LT4Smb024TQK3]Amazon.com: Steve Schapiro, Taxi Driver (9783836500081): Paul Duncan, Steve Schapiro: Books[/ame]

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$19.99 does sound like a lot for an electronic book.

I can't think of any way to excuse that, and I would not buy it.

We're probably going to occasionally discover anomalies like this as the world gets used to the idea of e-books and the idea that the original publisher should handle the electronic release. That's probably where it went wrong...the publisher didn't release the e-book himself.

Most reactions

Latest posts