What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you still happy with wifi?

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Which is the same problem I have with my current WinMO phone, I can tether my laptop, but not my iPad.

If you have a WinMO phone, go to ppcgeeks, hack it and install WiFi router.

It's what I use on my touch pro 2 and it's amazing. Impossible to detect a tether and no additional costs from providers. Stealth tether FTW!

ON a different related note, I have had so many issues with a wireless connection in my living room, but the iPad has been pretty darn solid. Once every few days I might have an issue, but that's even debatable.

Download speeds are great, and the whole thing is pretty fantastic.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did this really neat thing here at work, we have a weak wireless connection by the time it gets to my office. MY HP laptop logs in fine and stays connected but lesser units like the iPad can't seem to hang on. I used "Connectify" to make the win7 laptop a wifi hotspot and now I can use the ipad in my office. Course I get the 3g tomorrow but I'd rather not use it unless I have no choice that way I can use the lesser plan.

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which is the same problem I have with my current WinMO phone, I can tether my laptop, but not my iPad.

If you have a WinMO phone, go to ppcgeeks, hack it and install WiFi router.

It's what I use on my touch pro 2 and it's amazing. Impossible to detect a tether and no additional costs from providers. Stealth tether FTW!

ON a different related note, I have had so many issues with a wireless connection in my living room, but the iPad has been pretty darn solid. Once every few days I might have an issue, but that's even debatable.

Download speeds are great, and the whole thing is pretty fantastic.
I downloaded the tethering program I have from xda. However my phone is relatively ancient and doesn't do wifi, which hasn't been an issue until now. I'll be updating in the near future.

prafter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am buying an ipad today....and also have a verizon MIFI 2200, my question is do I have to buy the 3 or 4G model to use my MIFI or can i just buy the wifi model?

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think I ever tried because I really hated that mifi. I am pretty sure it should work with the wifi model though.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
prafter said:
I am buying an ipad today....and also have a verizon MIFI 2200, my question is do I have to buy the 3 or 4G model to use my MIFI or can i just buy the wifi model?

just. the wifi if you have mifi

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other thing to note. You can transfer the mifi contract to the 4g ipad. That is what I did.

wholesalestunna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like my wifi... Just about everywhere you go now has wifi anyways. If I don't have Internet I read on the kindle app or just play a game.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just 1.5g of data on my iPhone plan, but I have grandfathered tethering at no extra cost, so wifi works for me.
My iPad is at home most of the time so a monthly plan is not worth it, but it is nice to be able to have Internet access away from home as I do go to the odd place without free wifi.

Last edited:

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Remember the 3G/4G models also have GPS. I have the new iPad 4G which I've never activated yet. I plan to activate during out of town trips and then cancel when back home. Month to month is flexible...

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
God bless the iPad w/ 4G and the AT&T unlimited data plan :D

The service/coverage is excellent in SoCal plus the GPS feature is a bonus. I never worry about long boring trips now.

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pleased with 3G. Made sure I got that version because we're without a WiFi network at home. Haven't used it as much since my new neighbor moved in along with an unsecured wireless router and I wind up piggybacking on it most of the time.
I just hope that your new neighbor knows of you piggybacking into his WiFi.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We had a temporary Internet outage at work today. So I finally decided to fire up the 4G for the first time today. As luck would have it, the Internet came back on a few minutes after getting the data plan setup.

I went with the $30 for 3 GB AT&T plan. It took several tries to connect in order to activate the service. But once activated, the connection is a lot better, which I find odd. I couldn't keep the cellular connection live while signing up for the plan, but is it fine afterwards. I don't have the AT&T unlimited plan. I think that plan only exists for those who had a data plan back and in the iPad 1 days, and who are grandfathered.

I do find the 4G connection seems to suck the battery faster. And I'll probably keep the plan for a month only. It is nice to see how it works wo/ using WiFi.

Most reactions

Latest posts