What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are You Guys Familiar With The ipads Old Father?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yea, the Newton.. That was during the day when everybody had to have a Palm Pilot.. HP and Dell had there version but I forgot what they were called :confused:

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newton predated the PalmPilot by three years. The Newton was much larger than organizers like the Casio B.O.S.S. And the Sharp Wizard, and the one thing it had that was really different was handwriting recognition. But that didn't work well, and the Newton died a quick death.

The Pilot was so successful because of Graffiti, which allowed you to "write" but didn't require anywhere near the memory and processing power that handwriting recognition does.

If you have an Android phone you can install Graffiti from the Market, for free.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh yea, the Newton.. That was during the day when everybody had to have a Palm Pilot.. HP and Dell had there version but I forgot what they were called :confused:

Funny. I had the Dell one and I forget what it was called too.

When the Newton came out, I remember thinking "Man! That thing is huge! Who wants to carry that in their pocket?". Look at us now...carrying around something even bigger, LOL.

I also wanted a Toshiba Libretto soooo badly when they came out back circa 1998, but never bought it. A co-worker had one...jealous.

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dell Axim

I too still have a Newton,neat hardware/software way ahead of its time.

Libretto are neat but have a keyboard so not really the same thing at all?

I am fairly sure the first true pocket PC was the HP 95LX which was a true 100% IBM XT in a tiny case.
I still have one of those and an 200Lx.

Atari Portfolio was another early machine.

Oh the good old days.

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Atari Portfolio was another early machine."

Atari had a tablet? Where was I?

No
The portfolio was a mini PC looking thing.
It was an amazing little machine.

I just got off on that tangent going down memory lane with someone elses inclusion of the Libretto.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now you got me thinking of my first computer, the Commodore 64.... You got remember those. They were actually pretty decent for it's time

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both a Newton 100 and a Newton 2100. The 2100 was a wonderful tablet - there was an awful lot of potential there -- Apple was absolutely crazy for ditching the Newton. They've made up with the iPad but what a lost opportunity.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Newton was great, but VERY expensive for the time and what it could do. I always thought it was a much better size than all the mini palm and pocket pc offerings that came along later.

BTW the Dell was very late in the pocket PC game.
My first was the Palm-sized PC in 1998
I was playing MP3s on it 3 years before the word iPod came into the English language. Of course, I could only fit 2-3 CDs on it :)
e10.jpg

Last edited:

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was a long time Palm user myself.
They lost me though when they dragged on so long with the Treo.
I loved the Treo but could not keep waiting so I got Crackberried!

No of course it is the iPhone all the way for me.

Ed

lilrabbit129

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started out with a Palm V. Was very jealous of the Vx, which had a huge 8MB memory vs my paltry 2mb. The PDAs really died when normal phones ( not even smart phones) could store just as much.

The Palm + Phone devices gave way to blackberry's and that eventually led to the iPhone. A lot of success comes from timing the market as well as having good tech.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My favorite ipad "father" was the Compaq tc1000 from 2002. I carried one of the for 4-5 years. Finally, the 1gHz transmeta processor just couldnt keep up with modern software and web content. It was a fantastic note-taking tablet that served me well in school and meetings at work.

compaq.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts