What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are my password safe when I jailbreakmmy Ipad?

putakti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are my password safe when I jailbreak my Ipad?

I've recently got my iPad 3G and ijbed it and restored it quickly...

I don't know the answer regarding this because I use paypal , emails, amazon and ebay on my iPad.

If I jailbreak my iPad then my password will not be safe ?

Last edited:

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you install/run OpenSSH you'll want to change your root password / default admin password to something not easily hacked.

Google the process.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Here is the easy way to do it.

#1 install OpenSSH
#2 install RockApp
#3 launch Rock App and it will say your password is not secure and ask what you want to change it to.

This method is ment for those who are not experienced with terminal or SSH. Even if you dont plan on using SSH, you should install it and reset the password. Some app you install down the road could include SSH as a required package and leave your iPad open to be hacked if the password isnt changed.

Note to SECURITY FREAKS: Just the fact of jailbreaking can be a security risk. You are actualy taking away the security checks that keep certain things from happening on the iphone/iPad. Once the device is jailbroken apps are free to do as they please, You could even download a legit app from the app store that works as it should but once installed on a jailbroken phone it steals your info or even deletes all your info. Some developers choose to do nothing when a jailbroken device is detect but will definatly recore your phones info(phone number ect..) if the app your running has been cracked. While some people like the advantages of jailbreaking, its still a possable security risk and should never be done to any device being used for business.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
MikesToolz said "Note to SECURITY FREAKS: Just the fact of jailbreaking can be a security risk. You are actualy taking away the security checks that keep certain things from happening on the iphone/iPad. Once the device is jailbroken apps are free to do as they please, You could even download a legit app from the app store that works as it should but once installed on a jailbroken phone it steals your info or even deletes all your info. Some developers choose to do nothing when a jailbroken device is detect but will definatly recore your phones info(phone number ect..) if the app your running has been cracked. While some people like the advantages of jailbreaking, its still a possable security risk and should never be done to any device being used for business. "

Very good advice, and well said. I have a JB iPhone, but am choosing not to JB my iPad because I do all banking and bill paying, and online buying with it.... Call me paranoid, but to me it's just being careful.....

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To MikesTooLz or anyone that knows,

I did what you suggested (installed OpenSSH, installed and ran Rock) and changed the password. However when I did that, the Wifi signal icon disappeared. I uninstalled OpenSSH and restarted the iPad. The signal icon is now back. :D With that said, is the password still changed although OpenSSH is removed?
Rock is still installed..

Thanks

viperviper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
are these steps a 'must' to do after jailbroken the ipad? or only do these steps only if u ever d/l openssh? i guess i just want to use my ipad with a peace of mind since i hv jailbroken it 2 weeks ago? pls advise. tks.

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
are these steps a 'must' to do after jailbroken the ipad? or only do these steps only if u ever d/l openssh? i guess i just want to use my ipad with a peace of mind since i hv jailbroken it 2 weeks ago? pls advise. tks.

As long as you don't have openssh running your fine.

install SBSettings and make sure openssh is turned off

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
To MikesTooLz or anyone that knows,

I did what you suggested (installed OpenSSH, installed and ran Rock) and changed the password. However when I did that, the Wifi signal icon disappeared. I uninstalled OpenSSH and restarted the iPad. The signal icon is now back. :D With that said, is the password still changed although OpenSSH is removed?
Rock is still installed..

Thanks

No, the next time Open SSH is installed it will have the default passwords agian. The think is that OpenSSH can be installed by you, but is also AUTOMATICALLY installed my many jailbreak apps. If you install a jailbreak app that requires OpenSSH ist will install it for you with the default password unless you already have it installed.

if you have anything strange happen like that wifi icon thing, just reboot the iPad and see if it gets fixed.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

I would say yes its a MUST DO.

Why?
Because you may be safe with it not installed at all, but many jailbroken apps will require OpenSSH and if you havnt already installed it and changed the password it will automaticly be installed without you knowing with the default password.

Better safe than sorry, install it and change the password so you know its secure.

There was already someone arrested for scanning AT&T wireless IP ranges for jailbroken iPhones and infecting them with a virus that poped up messages requesting the user pay $5 to remove the virus.

viperviper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does that mean that once the password is changed, any app installation that needs to go thru openssh, the system will auto prompt u to key in the ssh password before any installation can proceed?

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you jailbreak, you are removing what makes the iPhone OS more secure than a PC or Mac. Might as well leave cash in your car, with the doors unlocked, in a bad part of town.

Maybe no one will notice.

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does that mean that once the password is changed, any app installation that needs to go thru openssh, the system will auto prompt u to key in the ssh password before any installation can proceed?

No..

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

no, OpenSSH lets you connect to your iphone from a remote computer either over your wifi or even over your 3g connection. it lets you view every file on the phone and edit/delete/upload/download anything to the phone.

this means if a program installs OpenSSH with the default password, anyone can connect to your phone over the internet and view/edit files on your phone without you knowing. making sure openssh is installed and the password is changed keeps anyone from accessing the phone unless they know the new password that you changed it to.

Most reactions

Latest posts