What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps crashing lately

Saje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At home in the UK, BT home zone, iPad original, iOS5 with all apps hopefully updated, and suddenly crash. App(s) unexpectedly quit, I'm back at the home screen level. Usually the app reopens where last I was reading. This morning with SkyGrid though, I was out in the cold and had to step my bck to the last article I was reading. This happensnwith other apps as well: games, apps with a web connection and apps without. Any suggestions for where to start looking or testing for a culpable culprit?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - try this. Completely turn off the iPad by pressing and holding the Power button until the slider control appears. Accept the offer to completely turn off - the iPad will power down and display a rotating white bezel while it's doing that. When the screen is completely blank, press and hold the Power button until the white Apple logo appears; the iPad will power up. This 'power recycling' allows the iPad to do a load of 'housekeeping' including freeing up unused system memory (RAM). When an app quits to the Home screen it's usually because it's run out of RAM, so a power recycle like this can fix the problem. Even Apple recommend that you do this occasionally.

Tim

AceCoolie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed this as well. Since upgrading to iOS5, all of my apps crash more often. It's not an every day thing but I've noticed it. They always work fine when I re-open them. It's also apple supplied apps as well like mail, safari, the app store, etc. so it's not just a case of a 3rd party not updating their app for the new OS. I'm wondering if it has something to do with memory management. Previously, my iPad was jailbroken and I had an app that displayed free memory in the status bar. It was common for there to only be 25-30 megs free (until I closed all the background tasks). Now that I'm not jailbroken, I don't know how much free mem there is but I suspect it's not much and when there is not enough to open an app, it crashes and then forces a flush to free up some mem.

Most reactions

Latest posts