What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applecare plus versus Squaretrade

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the better choice? Squaretrade has a coupon - two years with accidental coverage $79.00
AppleCare+ - $99.00 covers two accidental damage, both have $49.00 deductibles.
Any thoughts? I am still using the first generation iPad with no problems (yet) with my two kids always using it. I'm really nervous with my luck on the new iPad. I can't let me kids play with the new one.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
i would say apple care.

apple already replaces iPads for almost any reason, even smashed screens if the genius decides he wants to swap it (it is up to the genies).
with the apple care plus deductible it makes it almost a no brainer for them to OK the replacement. Also its done right at that moment, no waiting for the iPad to be shipped off.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MikesTooLz said:
i would say apple care.

apple already replaces iPads for almost any reason, even smashed screens if the genius decides he wants to swap it (it is up to the genies).
with the apple care plus deductible it makes it almost a no brainer for them to OK the replacement. Also its done right at that moment, no waiting for the iPad to be shipped off.

Genies have bn disallowed to work their majic. Guy wouldnt even swap my faulty cord.

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the better choice? Squaretrade has a coupon - two years with accidental coverage $79.00
AppleCare+ - $99.00 covers two accidental damage, both have $49.00 deductibles.

I'm still debating too currently.
$79 - SquareTrade ($49 deductible)
$99+Tax - AppleCare+ (Why is there tax on Apple warranty?)($49 deductible)
$199 - Best Buy Black Tie Protection (No Deductible)

Is there a deal somewhere for AppleCare? What is this one for $69 (says *newest version*)?
Amazon.com: AppleCare Protection Plan for iPad (NEWEST VERSION): Electronics

ChuckinSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe one of the advantages of Square Trade is that it covers damage including dropping, water damage, etc. those are things Apple doesn't cover. Actually I purchased with Amex but still got the Square Trade plan.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
J

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zman said:
I'm still debating too currently.
$79 - SquareTrade ($49 deductible)
$99+Tax - AppleCare+ (Why is there tax on Apple warranty?)($49 deductible)
$199 - Best Buy Black Tie Protection (No Deductible)

Is there a deal somewhere for AppleCare? What is this one for $69 (says *newest version*)?
Amazon.com: AppleCare Protection Plan for iPad (NEWEST VERSION): Electronics

Square trade charges tax also. I thought a company has to charge tax if they have a store in the state in which you are buying it.
It looks like the Amazon AppleCare isn't AppleCare plus, so it doesn't cover damaged iPads. I've heard good things about squaretrade, but for $20 more it might better going with Apple just because you wouldn't have to send your iPad in for repair, you could just bring it to a apple store and get it repaired or most likely replaced. I preordered my iPad and didn't get the warranty so I have to go to a Apple store within 30 days to get it. Any other thoughts?

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Square trade charges tax also. I thought a company has to charge tax if they have a store in the state in which you are buying it.

Actually, they don't. I took the plunge and bought it for $79 out the door and I live in California (so is SquareTrade). It was a no brainer when I realized I had eBay money in my Paypal account since SquareTrade takes Paypal. I'm all set now :D

kitkat3709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple Care Plus for the newest member of the IFamily (arriving next week.). My husbands soon to be "2" is covered by Square Trade.

Sent from my iPad2 32 3G Black :)

tmurray315

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i bought apple care when i pre ordered ipad very new to this so im wondering if it comes with anyting just got the new ipad but dont see my apple care??

OP
J

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure you do get anything. It's my understanding AppleCare is registered using your iPad serial number, so Apple knows you have it?

Patrizia_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was told you will get an email
In a few days but it's already registered if you do need to call .. So no worries ..

bdegrande

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Square Trade. The warranties are basically the same now. At one point AppleCare didn't cover drops and spills, but now they do and they both have $49 charges for accidental damage. There is still no disadvantage to SquareTrade, you can have your iPad serviced by a Genius Bar and they will reimburse you. One advantage of SquareTrade is that they offer a 3 year warranty, which I got for $109.

Most reactions

Latest posts