What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple wireless keyboard

write-stuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.richarddawkins.net
I'm looking for a bluetooth keyboard that is roughly the same width as my iPad (landscape). Is anyone using other (non-Apple) keyboards with their iPads?

How about bluetooth mice or touchpads? Anything out there?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bluetooth keyboard that is roughly the same width as my iPad (landscape). Is anyone using other (non-Apple) keyboards with their iPads?

How about bluetooth mice or touchpads? Anything out there?

Bluetooth mice/touchpads are available, but will not work on the iPad. To be honest, many bluetooth mice are not that great when compared to a really good RF mouse. They cost more money and are not as reliable. However, they are getting better and the Apple models are among the best.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally got my Apple Wireless KB today.
(used - Ebay. Love the way it works, including controlling the brightness, volume ipod control)

Worked great!

after I put the batteries in the other direction.
Seemed like the non-intuitive direction to me.

ayerbusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I don't have a wireless keyboard because I am used to typing through the virtual keyboard of my iPad. Well, if you are one of those people who keeps on complaining about the iPad having no external keyboard, then I should say that you can buy the keyboard that you are looking for as long as it's from Apple.

Road Warrior

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.nomadz.net
Works great with some getting used to

I've been using the Apple Wireless Keyboard for a couple of weeks now. The hardest thing to get used to was not being able to use keyboard shortcuts for things like cutting, copying or pasting. It feels funny lifting my hands from the keyboard and touching the screen to copy, then returning to the keyboard again... but I eventually got used to it.

It's a little annoying that when the keyboard is connected, the soft keyboard on the iPad is no longer accessible. There are those times when it would be nice to pick up the device and quickly tap something into it, before going back the keyboard.

To conserve battery power, you should turn the keyboard off. Because the light on the keyboard only lights up when you first turn it on (after which it goes off), it's difficult to know precisely when the keyboard is actually on or off. The best way I found to do this is to look at the Bluetooth icon on the iPad instead. If the icon is faded, the keyboard is off. Otherwise, the keyboard is on.

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the Apple Wireless keyboard with my iPad and also use it with my iMac. You just need to unpair the Bluetooth to switch between iPad and iMac. Much faster to type emails on the iPad now.

I wanted to get the wireless keyboard dock, but I have the Apple iPad case and the docking keyboard won't allow you to dock with the iPad in the case (unless you cut out the case docking area - from what I read). Also, since the back support on the docking keyboard is at a fixed angle and sticks out, it makes it into a fixed desktop accessory and you lose portability with the iPad. Forget about traveling with the docking keyboard - too bulky. Also keyboard dock forces a portrait only orientation vs the wireless keyboard that lets you rotate the iPad to either position - portrait or landscape.

So, I'm good with the wireless keyboard for now. But it would sure be nice to have or reprogram the keys for the custom iPad functions.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a lot better.. because a cabled on would be a pain. Getting tangled with other cables, especially the head phones.

kiksdomo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My experiences with the apple wireless kb

I have been using my apple wireless keyboard for a bit and here are my observations.

The keyboard dock was not an option since I much rather prefer landscape over portrait.

The keyboard is too easily switched on inadvertently when stowed away in my bag. This wouldn't be such a huge issue if all it did was run down the keyboard battery but that pesky eject button turns my iPad on every time it gets pushed. I had a full battery one morning and retrieved my iPad with 36% gone in the afternoon and it took me all day to figure out what had happened. I now remove my keyboard batteries every time I pack it

If you want to use the onscreen keyboard at any time while your bt keyboard is paired, just push the eject key and the onscreen kb will pop up.

If you have a jail broken iPad and are using the magic mouse (mighty mouse clicks are not recognized on btstack mouse yet) you cannot use a bt keyboard at this time (as of this post 5-13-10) btstack keyboard will crash your iPad

-edit- btstack keyboard does work in a limited fashion with the update. Even fewer of the keys work though. No eject functionality which means the onscreen keyboard is sometimes present while using the Bluetooth one depending upon the application and you have no control over it.

Many of the keys and shortcuts on the blutooth keyboard do not work (such as arrow keys, and the command key. Sorry no copy paste shortcuts).

Other blue tooth keyboards will work.

Hope that helps some

-kiks

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts