What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Keyboard Help

aenti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I was wondering if anyone knows of a wireless (bluetooth) keyboard with iPad specific keys. Sort of like the iPad dock keyboard's home, brightness, lock keys, but on a bluetooth keyboard. I've searched far and wide but only seem to find either keyboard/case combos or sketchy Chinese made keyboards.

Any help? As a college student this would be a huge asset to my iPad 2

OP
A

aenti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've considered it, but I was wondering if there is a keyboard out there with dedicated iPad functions, unlike the Apple BT keyboard. Any ideas?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum - :)

What's wrong w/ the Apple BT offering shown below - it's the one that I own; does not fold if that is an option for you? Keep in mind that there are NOT a lot of special key options or combinations w/ this keyboard (nor w/ others) - BUT if you plan to do a LOT of typing on the iPad this is likely one of your best choices - good luck in your selection!

458362_g1.jpg

OP
A

aenti

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What's wrong w/ the Apple BT offering shown below - it's the one that I own; does not fold if that is an option for you? Keep in mind that there are NOT a lot of special key options or combinations w/ this keyboard (nor w/ others) - BUT if you plan to do a LOT of typing on the iPad this is likely one of your best choices - good luck in your selection!

What keys replicate iPad functions? Does adjusting brightness, sound, music on the keyboard work on the iPad? Does any key replicate the home/lock button?

Also, how do you keep the keyboard from getting damaged in travel?

Thanks so much for the help! I love this forum :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at the Zaggmate Bluetooth keyboard. It has special function keys that duplicate the home button, allow access to Spotlight (search), turn on the slideshow, use the onscreen keyboard and turn on/off the iPad. In addition, it has media buttons for play/pause music, previous/next tracks, mute and volume up/down. And, there's the button to activate the international keyboard, should you have that enabled.

I have both the Apple and the Zaggmate keyboards. As far as function keys go, the Zaggmate has more buttons to make using it the same as pressing buttons on the iPad.

Good luck in your decision.

Marilyn

OP
A

aenti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at the Zaggmate Bluetooth keyboard. It has special function keys that duplicate the home button, allow access to Spotlight (search), turn on the slideshow, use the onscreen keyboard and turn on/off the iPad. In addition, it has media buttons for play/pause music, previous/next tracks, mute and volume up/down. And, there's the button to activate the international keyboard, should you have that enabled.

I have both the Apple and the Zaggmate keyboards. As far as function keys go, the Zaggmate has more buttons to make using it the same as pressing buttons on the iPad.

Good luck in your decision.

Marilyn

Is this a BT/Case combo? Or just a keyboard?

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're going to be doing a lot of keyboard work, size is as important as "dedicated keys" IMO. The smaller keyboards may look neat but they can be a PIA to work on for any length of time.

OP
A

aenti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Plains

I definitely see that. What do you recommend?

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score

What keys replicate iPad functions? Does adjusting brightness, sound, music on the keyboard work on the iPad? Does any key replicate the home/lock button?

Also, how do you keep the keyboard from getting damaged in travel?

Thanks so much for the help! I love this forum :)

The Apple Wireless Keyboard does, in fact, allow you to adjust the iPad's brightness and sound (beautifully), the home button... no. You can protect the keyboard with the excellent Origami Workstation which has been discussed on several other threads.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Aenti - Marilyn has already made some comparison comments - first, you are NOT going to get the full keyboard functions of a PC computer's KB, so don't expect a LOT more.

Second, the Apple BT keyboard types beautifully like a regular sized one - in other threads, complaints have been made about the 'smaller' versions, so worth a consideration - you might want to visit an Apple store (or similar place) and give a number of them a try.

Finally, concerning protection of the keyboard, I bought the case shown below JAVOEdge brand - comes in various colors and fits the keyboard tightly adding little weight or size - not cheap but works well.

Good luck in your choice -:)
51Md7yGOSOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Zaggkeys SOLO iPad keyboard supports iPad specific keys such as...

• Home - Brings you to the iPad 2 home screen
  • Search - Brings up the iPad 2 search screen
  • Slideshow - Starts playing slideshow of saved pictures
  • Virtual keyboard - Allows you to hide or show iPad 2 on-screen keyboard
  • Lock - makes the iPad 2 screen go dark and come back when pressed again
  • International Keyboard - Toggles between international keyboards
  • Other function keys: Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo, Redo
  • Music function keys: Previous track, Play/Pause, Next track, Mute, Volume down, Volume up
Note that arrow keys are application specific. Some applications support their use; others do not. That is true of this product as well as the Apple Wireless Keyboard.

ZAGGkeys SOLO iPad Keyboard | iPad 2 Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard | ZAGG

Note: This product should not be confused with the Zaggmate/Logitech combo iPad case/keyboard. The standalone keyboard is a new product.

P.S. Just noticed that Marilyn (Mickey) already suggested this product. Sorry about the duplication, but I think this answers the questions that followed her post. BTW, I haven't used this keyboard. I prefer the Apple Wireless Keyboard in combination with the Origami Workstation (also already suggested) because the keyboard is somewhat larger.

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Zaggkeys SOLO iPad keyboard supports iPad specific keys such as...

• Home - Brings you to the iPad 2 home screen
  • Search - Brings up the iPad 2 search screen
  • Slideshow - Starts playing slideshow of saved pictures
  • Virtual keyboard - Allows you to hide or show iPad 2 on-screen keyboard
  • Lock - makes the iPad 2 screen go dark and come back when pressed again
  • International Keyboard - Toggles between international keyboards
  • Other function keys: Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo, Redo
  • Music function keys: Previous track, Play/Pause, Next track, Mute, Volume down, Volume up
Note that arrow keys are application specific. Some applications support their use; others do not. That is true of this product as well as the Apple Wireless Keyboard.

ZAGGkeys SOLO iPad Keyboard | iPad 2 Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard | ZAGG

Note: This product should not be confused with the Zaggmate/Logitech combo iPad case/keyboard. The standalone keyboard is a new product.

P.S. Just noticed that Marilyn (Mickey) already suggested this product. Sorry about the duplication, but I think this answers the questions that followed her post. BTW, I haven't used this keyboard. I prefer the Apple Wireless Keyboard in combination with the Origami Workstation (also already suggested) because the keyboard is somewhat larger.

I am familiar with and have used the Zaggmate, which I found to be quite good. While the Zaggmate keyboard has a better than expected feel to it, I still prefer the AWK touch and feel for obvious reasons. It would be nice if, with the coming of iOS 5, we were surprised to find that they had included some simple code to support the Home Key and Spotlight for the AWK and the iPad, though I believe that we would have heard something by now. These are two glaring (deliberate?) omissions that, if corrected, would round out the AWK nicely and whose abscence make a case for owning the Zaggmate or the Zaggkeys Solo. At this point it's a tradeoff there.

Thanks for pointing out the Zaggkeys Solo, I was not aware of it and am looking forward to seeing it in a local coffeeshop shortly. :)

Krick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Joy Factory Arpeggio has iOS keys as well, as does the Verbatim folding keyboard.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Krick said:
Joy Factory Arpeggio has iOS keys as well, as does the Verbatim folding keyboard.

Appreciate the input Krick, I'll take a look. I had heard about the Arpeggio (maybe from you?). :)

Most reactions

Latest posts