What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV... So who's bought/buying one then?

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait. "CRapple TV, itz suxors, buy £800 HTPC 2 play avi, mkv, tic, abcde, fubar instead, google tv....... And it don't have 1080p... Or a microwave.. Or popcorn maker.. Or wings...and it's not fluffy goddamn it.. AND it doesn't have flash so I can watch dancing badgers". Hopefully that will now save you from feeling the need to type.

Finally ordered mine from the apple store last night along with some christmas presents - can't wait to simplify the way I get my iTunes library from the crappy old Windoze Vista Sony laptop I have running as a server (which I keep wanting to replace with an older mini mac from eBay for no other reason than it's apple and it'll 'match'! - at this point i'll accept the fanboi tag ;)) - to my Onkoyo AV amp.

I'm actually childishly excited about finally having my home theatre & iTunes library properly integrated in a way that let's me ditch the whole mish-mash of cables I've got now!

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All my music an videos are on the PS3. I'll be installing a 1TB hard drive in it early next year.

Also going out in a few months and buying a HP touchscreen all in one desktop system. I'm going to build a custom coffee table for it with HDMI running to the 55" an surround sound. This way I have all my music, videos, pictures, Internet radio, netflix, hulu, all on one device ready to go. So I don't think apple tv will have much need in my home or what I need

OP
P

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wakawaka- nope, I can see why AppleTV doesn't fit in with your system.

I was really interested in also getting the Slingbox HD as well, but I don't think it gives me the ability to control more than a single source remotely. :(

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wakawaka- nope, I can see why AppleTV doesn't fit in with your system.

I was really interested in also getting the Slingbox HD as well, but I don't think it gives me the ability to control more than a single source remotely. :(

That's the Slingbox Solo. The HD give you control on 4 devices.

Wait for the iPad application before committing to buying a Sling. I got mine with the iPhone app and it's really crummy! Almost useless...

OP
P

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was only toying with the idea as it would mean I could watch things from my cable/iTunes while visiting the folks and stuff - which would be pretty cool, but if the app isn't very good then it makes the whole thing rather pointless for me.

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bought mine 2 days ago just like waka waka i had my hp laptop hooked to the tv via hdmi and digital out on my theater system... now with the apple tv i have all that in a very small package... now i can stream all my itunes content of my 3 laptops to the apple tv... can't forget about youtube , netflix, mobile me, itunes shows and movies all integrated in one tiny package... the best part has to be the remote app... works well on my iphone 4 and ipad 3G and apple tv!!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bought mine 2 days ago just like waka waka i had my hp laptop hooked to the tv via hdmi and digital out on my theater system... now with the apple tv i have all that in a very small package... now i can stream all my itunes content of my 3 laptops to the apple tv... can't forget about youtube , netflix, mobile me, itunes shows and movies all integrated in one tiny package... the best part has to be the remote app... works well on my iphone 4 and ipad 3G and apple tv!!

I'm interested in the remote app, does it come with Apple tv?

rwilts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The launch of the new apple tv just prompted me again to look into getting an original apple tv! So i did. £70 from ebay and came with a new style alum remote. I need to have content stored locally and not over the network so will watch with interest till new one is JB..

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm interested in the remote app, does it come with Apple tv?

You can download it from the app store for free now. Works really well! (doesn't need apple tv, but will be so much better when mine arrives!)

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone actually received theirs yet? I would be interested in a review of how it actually performs rather than the adds for it.

OP
P

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't think so yet... I believe a few guys on a predominantly UK AV forum I loiter on have been told by Apple to expect delivery on the 4th Oct.

I don't think from an iPad perspective we'll see AppleTV's true usefulness until post-November; and the whole rental thing is a complete sideshow for me - I'm going to be able to stream my itunes library to my AV reciever in digital wonderfulness.. No more horrible phono or VGA cables! ;)

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I read a lot about what the reviewers are saying about the Apple TV vs the other boxes and ordered a Roku XP|S.

Most reactions

Latest posts