What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV Rumored to Get Overhauled & Announced in June

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Apple_TV_2nd_Generation.jpg

According to the latest from the rumor-mill out of Cupertino, Apple may be planning on a newly updated Apple TV with a complete overhaul. Industry sources suggest this newly improved Apple TV device will be announced at Apple's World Wide Developers Conference this June. There's no word on if the new version would stick to the new $69 dollar price that Apple recently dropped the Apple TV down to (from $99).

It's possible the new version will cost $99, while the old version will stay at $69 until supply runs out. In fact, it's not hard to speculate that this was precisely the biggest reason that Apple lowered the price of the Apple TV, (on top of the extra PR factor from the HBO Now announcement). Of course, this would also go well with the recently rumored Apple TV Streaming service, as a new box would go hand-in-hand with new service.

What do you guys think? Will a completely revised Apple TV make even more headway in the market?

Source: IGN

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping Apple will release an "Apple TV Stick" sometime soon.
If you mean something like a dongle that will attach to your iPad, that's unlikely. The rumoured Apple TV streaming service may possibly be available on the iPad though an as yet unreleased app.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HDMI stick
It would serve no useful purpose. If you're thinking of connecting it to an iPad, there's no HDMI connector on an iPad. If you're thinking of connecting it to an HD TV to watch Apple TV programming, there's no need as that's what the Apple TV is for.

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple TV too big for on the road and requires mains connection. HDMI stick is tiny and powered from a spare TV USB port so is much more mobile to carry round for hotel use and office presentations via AirPlay. Ideal scenario is that an Apple TV stick would also use peer-to-peer wifi for connection to iPhone/iPad to remove dependence on a local wifi being accessible on site.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple TV already uses Peer To Peer WiFi and doesn't require an outside WIFi connection to connect to the iPad to use AirPlay for streaming content from your iPad to the Apple TV.

I don't see Apple offering what you call an Apple TV stick anytime soon. The existing Apple TV is small and light enough to pack into any piece of luggage with no noticeable increase in weight. As to the need for it to be plugged in, you can always use the other socket in the outlet used by the display you connect the Apple TV to.

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah. I'm curious to know more about how to connect iPad to Apple TV without local wifi. I haven't discovered this. Please elaborate.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need an iPhone 5 or later, an iPad mini, iPad 4 or later or an iPod touch 5th generation to use peer to peer WiFi with the Apple TV. The Apple TV should be on software version 7.0 or later and the iOS devices must be on iOS 8. To initiate the peer to peer connection, turn on WiFi and Bluetooth on both devices.

You do not need an Internet connection to stream content from your iPad to the Apple TV although an Internet connection is needed if you want to stream iTunes content from the cloud.

Here's the Apple page on AirPlay, including the use of peer to peer WiFi. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204289

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The TV and streaming market is getting very interesting. We are finally seeing lots of options out there and that can only be good for the consumers. I had heard that the Apple TV service might be in the $40 dollar a month range which is kind of high. That new Sling TV thing is doing well and that's only $20 bucks a month.

The idea of a stick versus a box is simply that eliminating extra cords and such is a great thing. But Apple won't likely do that.

Currently we stream through our blu-Ray player and that works fine. I'm grabbing some popcorn to watch this while TV thing unfold.... ;)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's amazing how things just work. I have an Apple TV from ~ 3 years ago and it fires up just like the day I received it as a Birthday Gift. Just finished updating it to the current and working great. We don't use it as much as many people do, but when we do it's always been reliable. Love seeing the changes to these ATVs and eager to see what what will unfold.

I'm with you @s2mikey .... grabbing popcorn too! :)

mike1726

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a chromecast stick & still requires a mains connection

Mike A

mike1726

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to get my 3rd Apple TV box for my bedroom but if the rumours are of a new type of Apple TV then I might as well wait till June & see what it brings.

Mike A

mike1726

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no idea I thought it woul, but has a mains power cable to.

Mike A

Most reactions

Latest posts