What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV for my dvd collection

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am hoping to get rid of my DVD collection like I have done with my CDs, with the help of an apple device.

What I want to do is store the films and TV shows I want on a NAS drive or similar and then be able to stream them to my tv as and when I want.

I am not certain whether I can achieve this with apple TV. Maybe someone who has one could advise? Or is there another better solution?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I would like to do this as well. I have already transferred all music and DVDs to digital formats on my computer and have them in iTunes. I'm thinking about getting an apple tv, but the apple TV needs to connect to a PC running iTunes in order to stream the content. Apple TV will not connect to a NAS. You could probably make a work around by Mapping the NAS to a network drive on your PC and then pointing iTunes to the media on it but your computer would still need to be on and running iTunes for apple TV to see the content.

I already have a Google TV and have had a little success streaming from iTunes to the TV via AirPlay. However it does not work all of the time(not surprising as its not really supposed to do AirPlay) and I have to start it on the PC before it shows on the TV. Getting an Apple TV would solve these issues however I have not decided if I will get one or not.

Agent1191

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Apple TV only does 720, not 1080. if you are particular about resolution. It won't be as good as the original DVD, unless you have a smaller screen,

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agent1191 said:
Keep in mind that the Apple TV only does 720, not 1080. if you are particular about resolution. It won't be as good as the original DVD, unless you have a smaller screen,

I thought standard DVD is 480P, which is lower than Apple TV.......I could be wrong though?

The Archangel

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I already have a Google TV and have had a little success streaming from iTunes to the TV via AirPlay. However it does not work all of the time(not surprising as its not really supposed to do AirPlay) and I have to start it on the PC before it shows on the TV. Getting an Apple TV would solve these issues however I have not decided if I will get one or not.

If you already have Google TV (I have the Logitech Revue) you can use Windows Media Center (if you're on a PC of course) thru Google TV & stream that way over a standard wifi. I've done it quite a few times plus you don't need iTunes. Some Google TV units also allow you to plug in an external hard drive directly into the unit & then play directly from the drive...

OP
Q

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No I don't have google tv,I don't know if it is even available in the uk. And I do not have any blu-rays.

So will apple tv do the job? I am still not very clear whether it will work with DVDs I might rip (perfectly legal here in the uk I understand).

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
No I don't have google tv,I don't know if it is even available in the uk. And I do not have any blu-rays.

So will apple tv do the job? I am still not very clear whether it will work with DVDs I might rip (perfectly legal here in the uk I understand).

Apple TV will allow you to stream all of your music and ripped DVD movies to your TV. However, you will not be able to stream them directly from a NAS. You must have a computer running iTunes with all of the music/movies in the iTunes library. The apple TV connects to your iTunes thats running on the computer and will let you play what ever you have in iTunes.

Also another thing to think about. March 7th apple will probably announce a new Apple TV model. There are a few hints that suggest this. The first being apples invitation saying that they have something you would want to 'SEE' and touch. SEE could be them talking about a new Apple TV and Touch could mean the new iPad. The second indication is that Apple TV's are now all running out of stock in stores and even the apple website has them backordered until after march 7th.

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
Not quite true Mike, jailbreak the AppleTV and then stream direct from the NAS using XBMC, thats all I do, music and films.....you can't beat the AppleTV!!

^^ this, it really is an awesome little box, I love it!

NeilShapiro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.joyofipad.com
If you are capable of using Handbrake or the like to get your movies off your DVDs this is fairly simple. On my iMac I stream to my Apple TV in a few ways. If the program I am using to view has Airplay it just streams to the Apple TV. If the program does not (or if you view something from the web, say) you can get a program called AirParrot very cheaply and that will stream your iMac screen (or PC) to the Apple TV. I use it for watching PBS shows mostly. By the way, Apple today announced a new 1080p Apple TV at $99 so you can bet I will upgrade!

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an app called Air Media Center to view my videos on my iPad or iPhone. I can send the videos to my 3rd generation Apple TV directly from my iPad or iPhone as seen below:

image-3841474867.jpg

There is a desktop program that runs on my PC from air media center that you use to setup the folders you want to view on the iPad. It has to be on the pc hard drive on a network drive. The nice thing about this is that it will play any video format. No need to have iTunes open to use this.

Most reactions

Latest posts