What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple to Drop Google Maps in iOS 6

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

9to5 Mac reports today that it has heard from “trusted sources†that Apple is planning to ditch Google Maps from the forthcoming iOS 6 and replace it with its own in-house map app. The sources say that the new Maps app from Apple is similar to Google Maps, but is a “much cleaner, faster, and more reliable experience.†9to5 Mac explains that while Apple has always had control of the Google Maps app in iOS ever since it started using it in 2007, the backend has always been Google’s. Now Apple plans to change this, having acquired Placebase, C3 Technologies and Poly9 and used them to create a mapping database. The new Maps app will have a new logo, as well as a “powerful†new 3D mode, which 9to5 Mac’s sources say comes from C3 Technologies, and which features “beautiful, realistic graphics based on de-classified missile target algorithms.†Google’s Street View will also be replaced by a similar in-house Apple version.

Source: iOS 6: Apple drops Google Maps, debuts in-house ‘Maps’ with incredible 3D mode | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatboy71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the new Maps app from Apple is similar to Google Maps, but is a “much cleaner, faster, and more reliable experience

As long has this is the case then I'm not bothered if the Google Maps app gets dropped in iOS 6.

snapeed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure if it'll work for international geographies such as India. If it doesn't it'll be a deal breaker. May be they should continue to support traditional google map as well.

mconigs78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not too thrilled about this as the Google maps I think is the most accurate mapping program. If anything Apple needs to get the same type of software like Google Nav which is free and very accurate.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does apple do Anything for free? I think it will work well but will require yearly subscrition.

"Post with pictures it helps everyone"

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple are unlikely to charge for a feature that has hitherto been free.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Xploit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really hope that it's better than Google Maps. I'm not the type to assume that just because something's developed by Apple means it's automatically good or the best stuff out there. Google Maps has been very easy to use and accurate enough to use, as no map out there that I can think of is absolutely accurate.

The thing I'm most disappointed with (not so much with the WiFi model iPads) but with any iOS cellular capable device is the lack of a really high quality navigation app. I know some are loyal to Navigon, MotionXGPS, TeleNav, Garmin, whatever... but I've never found anything that comes close to how good the Google Navigator (default Nav app on Android devices) really is. All the iOS stuff looks cartoonish and it's so much easier to use the Google Nav. Just speak to it, it'll match the destinations and find you addresses easily.

Most reactions

Latest posts