What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple to charge for iPad OS upgrades after one freebie

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This device is not a 5 year life cycle. We will see vast improvements in the coming iPad gens. The 10.00 is a non issue. I will likely want the next gen unit when it ships especially of we see some great improvements.

OP
K

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will likely want the next gen unit when it ships especially if we see some great improvements.

I am very sure, that the next gen iPad will be a hitter again. This generation iPad is a pilot. Apple is checking the market. I feel very much remembered to the old Newton device. For those, who don't know it, Apple had a PDA-device in the late 80's with an excellent handwriting recognition. Especially the Newton 2000 was my favorite.

apple-newton.jpg

Apple Newton Messagepad (1.Gen)

apple_newton_messagepad_130.jpg

Apple Newton 120/130 (2.Gen)

apple-newton-messagepad.jpg

Apple Newton 2000/2100/3000 (3. and final Generation)

The Apple Newton was way too early for the market. That's why Steve Jobs's first action, when he rejoined Apple, was to cancel the Newton.

Sadly, but economically understandable.

The iPad is a total difference and will succeed.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm okay with paying a nominal fee for OS upgrades as long as it keeps my device relevant. What I really don't want is to pay a larger amount for a device that in two years will be worthless because my old device can't run the latest OS, and thus no one will make or maintain apps anymore. I expect my device to become a little more antiquated year after year as the latest models comes out -- I have no problem with that. But I want to be able to use this device five years from now. My biggest fear with this purchase is that in less than five years its functionality will be severely crippled. Time will tell. If this is treated more like a computer, I should be fine. If this is treated more like a phone, I'm in trouble.

You raise a good question. I wager 2 to 3 years and this first gen ipad will be fine.... but 5 years, i doubt it. This is really a time of transition in the computing world. Most aren't aware of it, but the "traditional" box computer is fading, and new technologies (like the iPad) are the next wave. Your iPad will of course still work 5 years from now, but I doubt you will be able to run the latest OS and applications on it. They are going to improve the device, and the hardware and software of today will be improved. At some point it will be counter-productive to keep adapting everything to work on a legacy device.....

All the above of course is just my opinion.... I have been wrong before :)

3 years is normal then pass it on to the kids or family Used by date with Apple and Windows computers is now 3 months yes 3 months That means if you purchase a computer model from a retailer it is out dated in 3 months by a new model approx every 6 months a change is made on design some times 12 months Iphones, Ipods, Macbook etc so to look at this with the ipad within 3 years it will be lighter as battery technology will be better it will be much faster and more powerful than you ever will dream about and most likely it will be your main computer 80% of the time Thats technology for you
Colin Down under -

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will likely want the next gen unit when it ships especially if we see some great improvements.

I am very sure, that the next gen iPad will be a hitter again. This generation iPad is a pilot. Apple is checking the market. I feel very much remembered to the old Newton device. For those, who don't know it, Apple had a PDA-device in the late 80's with an excellent handwriting recognition. Especially the Newton 2000 was my favorite.

apple-newton.jpg

Apple Newton Messagepad (1.Gen)

apple_newton_messagepad_130.jpg

Apple Newton 120/130 (2.Gen)

apple-newton-messagepad.jpg

Apple Newton 2000/2100/3000 (3. and final Generation)

The Apple Newton was way too early for the market. That's why Steve Jobs's first action, when he rejoined Apple, was to cancel the Newton.

Sadly, but economically understandable.

The iPad is a total difference and will succeed.

Absolutely spot on "The iPad is a total difference and will succeed"

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot newton was called messagepad, I guess iPad was an inevitable name.

Frezing Phoenix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that's awesome as an iPod touch user I have to pay for each major upgrade but not like I'm complaining since they only cost ten bucks. Having a major new one for free that includes folders and multitasking and more is sweet. After all its not like ms or apple offer free desktop os upgrades!

r34p3rex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great way for them to make more revenue xD They know people will buy it regardless :)

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me personally, I would rather spend $10 and have them still developing the latest upgrades and enhancements a year or two down the road, than getting it free and them not putting as much effort into an older device.

Of course when a new device does come out with significant differences Ill upgrade, but I'll still have this one as well. And if I was to sell it, there will be more of a market with continued modern software support and such.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd rather chip in for quality software than free garbage. $10 isn't the end of the world considering that's 2% of the cost of the device.

Louisg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will we ba able to download upgrades from iPad or will we have to connect to iiTunes?

Most reactions

Latest posts