What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Said to be Developing Physical Game Controller for iOS Devices

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Baldurs_Gate.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on a new story on AnandTech that says that Apple is currently developing a physical external gaming controller for its iOS devices. According to AnandTech’s sources, an internal Apple project is currently underway to develop a physical controller, but the sources cannot say whether or not Apple has actually decided to go ahead and market the physical controller. I can’t see why they wouldn’t though, as there’s clearly a desire for a physical controller, and as AnandTech notes, Apple currently lags behind Google’s Android on that front, as it already has wired and wireless controller support built into its OS, and they say that playing games such as GTA 3 on an Android device with a physical controller makes the experience of playing the game “much more enjoyable.†I can imagine many iOS gamers would love to have a physical controller to further enhance their enjoyment of iOS games, and it surely makes sense for Apple to market one as soon as possible, given the gaming power of its next-gen iOS devices.

Source: Apple working on physical game controller for iPads and other iOS devices

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm all for this happening. I'm more of a casual gamer but some games will really feel the benefit. Real Racing 2 over AirPlay with the new iPad is nice but not perfect due some minor latency and occasional stuttering. Imagine just plugging this in via HDMI and kicking back on your couch with a bluetooth controller to control the game. Definitely easier than the touch screen and much more relaxing and enjoyable experience to boot.
Bring it on Apple!

swyhart54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously, if Apple isn't going to come out with some type of a physical controller they'd be making a large mistake. The controls on the touch screen for the I Pad for games such as GTA 3, Marvel vs. Capcom, Nova 3, NBA Jams etc. all suck. I have the Fling which is nice for the control pad option but when you have more than 1 or 2 buttons on the left hand side of the screen it makes it difficult to select different buttons because you have to keep an eye on them which in turns leads you to take your eyes off the actual game. I'd love for Apple to make a simple controller to make the gaming experience much better. I'd even settle for something like a modified old school Nintendo control. As it stands right now I'll only play a few games on my I Pad but would buy alot more if I had better control of some of them.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Makes too much sense. Probably won't happen.

JK....

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any new updates on this? I really want a controller for my ipad 2 games.

Most reactions

Latest posts