What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Pencil compatibility

Bob.marion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am thinking of purchasing the new 11” iPad Pro but I am put off by the bad news that my original Apple Pencil is not compatible with it and will therefore have to buy a 2nd generation pencil for some princely sum. Does anyone know whether the compatibility issue is because of the charging system or is it because of the pairing of the two devices? If so is there a way round this?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i am thinking of purchasing the new 11” iPad Pro but I am put off by the bad news that my original Apple Pencil is not compatible with it and will therefore have to buy a 2nd generation pencil for some princely sum. Does anyone know whether the compatibility issue is because of the charging system or is it because of the pairing of the two devices? If so is there a way round this?
The incompatibility issues involve both the charging system used and the way the new Apple Pencil pairs with the new iPad Pro. Unfortunately there's no way around these limitations of the original Apple Pencil.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bob.marion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The incompatibility issues involve both the charging system used and the way the new Apple Pencil pairs with the new iPad Pro. Unfortunately there's no way around these limitations of the original Apple Pencil.
Thanks scifan57 I will just have to bite the bullet!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Like you, I was not pleased to find out I needed a new Pencil with my new iPad Pro. I knew it was better, but it did not sound enough better to be worth the price. I’m less upset now. While I’m not sure I’d upgrade the Pencil given a choice, I’m more appriciative of those improvements, and would find it hard to go back.

Just having the Pencil immediate to hand and always charged is huge.

OP
B

Bob.marion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like you, I was not pleased to find out I needed a new Pencil with my new iPad Pro. I knew it was better, but it did not sound enough better to be worth the price. I’m less upset now. While I’m not sure I’d upgrade the Pencil given a choice, I’m more appriciative of those improvements, and would find it hard to go back.

Just having the Pencil immediate to hand and always charged is huge.
Thanks twerppoet that’s very reassuring.

Most reactions

Latest posts