What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple or Motorola tablet????

solorca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've owned both, and eventually went with the ipad2...but you will have a tougher deicision than me.

When it comes to GPS, the GPS on Android phones/tablets are significantly better in my opinion. Google Maps/Nav is fantastic and is pre-installed with android products. There are good third party options for ipad, but I have yet to find one that can compete with the free items that are included with the Xoom.

You are correct about apps. The Xoom doesn't have many that are made specifically for tablets at all. With that said, a large number of android phone apps do work (full screen) with Xoom without much issue. Functionally, the apps are there...but compared to the quality and detail of ipad specific apps, the Xoom isn't even in the same ballpark.

The Xoom also has a lot of bugs that need to be worked out, and the iPad2 seems to be much more polished.

I would say this: If you are looking for a tablet that is a GPS first and a tablet second, go with the Xoom. If it's the other way around, go with the ipad2.

solorca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget to consider WHERE to buy either. While Apple may set the price and the store have to live with it, some do offer other things to entice your business, like >30 Day Warranties or free/bundled accessories. I've heard Target is a good choice due to their warranty policy being like 90 days vs. AppleStore and Best Buy being 30 days. Chime in if there are other considerations as well.

For the record, Best Buy has changed the return policy on tablets to 14 days. I had to fight this very issue when I returned my Xoom . The person I bought the tablet from said it was 30 days, but the actual policy is 14. My local store doesn't even have this listed on the wall or on their receipts yet, but it is on the Best Buy website.

OP
fighterpilot

fighterpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solorca your observations are revealing. By that I mean, my use would be as a backup to marine navigation hence the GPS is primary. I'm not really into the latest technology, being 77 years old and still using an old wireless phone with a pull out antenna, but it seems like a good way to get a backup GPS and some functionallity for other things if I every can master them. Thanks

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Huh??? Totally wrong. $599 wifi only, $800 CDMA no contract.

Motorola hasn’t priced their Xoom Tablet yet.

VZW says $599 with a 2-yr contract. Specs say
All–Digital, 800/1900, CDMA EVDO rev A
4G LTE Upgradable (When available)

thus not wifi-only.

Walmart shows wifi-only marked down to $569 from $599.

Costco will do $589 for the wifi-only, Staples is $599. $599 is list for the wifi-only Xoom.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why are you even considering the Xoom when the Asus Transformer is essentially the same tablet for 399 with the optional accessory of an amazing laptop dock that extends the battery life to 16 hours? Not to mention that the screen on the Transformer is a much higher quality display.

And yes, if your main use for a tablet is GPS, then there is no contest. Google Navigation is so many leagues ahead of anything for the iPad that its not even fair. Integrated voice actions makes it so much more useful. ie Tap an icon and say: "Navigate to Starrbucks" and Google Navigation automatically launches and starts navigating you to starbucks. Or "Navigate to 3665 elm street washington dc" and it automatically routing you.

OP
fighterpilot

fighterpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tablet

Does the Asus Transformer have the GPS chip and associated capability?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the Asus Transformer have the GPS chip and associated capability?

Yea, there area few examples on youtube of people demoing the GPS. Only thing is that you need some form of internet connectivity for Android navigation to work, and I think the Transformer is wifi only. If you start the route with wifi though, it will cache the entire route so you dont have to have constant connectivity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The google maps locks my location just as fast on my iPad as on my Droid Incredible (Android) phone.
When you're miles out on the water and a fog rolls in finding a place to eat or driving directions is about the last thing on many folks minds.fighter pilot, thank you for your service. Might I suggest google search Navionics? Awesome water maps for fresh and salt water navigating, fishing, depths, currents, etc

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd go for the iPad at the moment, although the android OS impressed me enough to get a droid phone.

Both will be good tablets.

The only thing is, if you get an android tablet this will happen... "wow is that an iPad?!!...oh...never mind"

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep!

:)
i'd go for the ipad at the moment, although the android os impressed me enough to get a droid phone.

The only thing is, if you get an android tablet this will happen... "wow is that an ipad?!!...oh...never mind"

lol :d:d

OP
fighterpilot

fighterpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tablets

Mountainbikermark--appreciate the thank you for your service. When I came back from Vietnam there sure weren't any than. FP

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd go for the iPad at the moment, although the android OS impressed me enough to get a droid phone.

The only thing is, if you get an android tablet this will happen... "wow is that an iPad?!!...oh...never mind"

:D gud one!

Most reactions