What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple or Motorola tablet????

fighterpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Considering purchase of a tablet to use as back up for navigation on small 36 foot recreational boat, sometimes out of tower range. I understand both the Ipad and the Motorola Android have a built in GPS chip capability but my sense is that the apps for the Android are not as plentiful. Would appreicate opinions on which system to acquire. Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing you'll need to take into account is that only the 3G iPad has GPS capability because the GPS functionality shares some of the same electronics as the 3G circuitry. However, the 3G doesn't need to be turned on or even activated to receive GPS. If you're used to using dedicated sat nav systems for aviation use (I have a Garmin 496) then you need to be aware too that the iPad (and, I suspect, the other tablets) don't offer EGNOS or WAAS capability and don't support differential GPS services.

Tim

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've owned both and currently only own the iPad2, but in real life I think you'd be able to make either a Xoom (the only readily available Android tab) or an iPad/iPad2 work (subject to the note above). You'll be a able to find apps that will work for either. I came to the conclusion that the Xoom was both a hardware beta and an OS beta but you should still be able to make it work. Sorry not to have some incisive insight. The iPad just plain works better, but it works the way Cupertino wants it to work. The Xoom is more flexible but the whole Android tablet market is about a year behind Apple right now (not surprisingly - that will probably change).

bill_d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing you'll need to take into account is that only the 3G iPad has GPS capability because the GPS functionality shares some of the same electronics as the 3G circuitry. However, the 3G doesn't need to be turned on or even activated to receive GPS. If you're used to using dedicated sat nav systems for aviation use (I have a Garmin 496) then you need to be aware too that the iPad (and, I suspect, the other tablets) don't offer EGNOS or WAAS capability and don't support differential GPS services.

Tim
i've had good luck with a wifi ipad an this in my car
XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver

and apps
Hundreds or Apps and Dozens of new uses to your device | XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver

the tomtom and Magellan work well for on the roads, but i don't know about boat apps

the asus transformer has gps build in but have not found apps i like for it

Last edited:
OP
fighterpilot

fighterpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tablets

Motorola has priced their Xoom. Saw an ad Sunday that has the Xoom with 10.1 screen, 32G storage Android 3.0 for 599.99. Dual Core processor. Does this have the built in GPS?

It does appear at this time Apple has more going for it, albeit you will pay more. Later on the xoom may have a lot more to offer with more features and less cost. Have to wait and see if apps writers produce for it. Thanks for information but if buying today would probably spend the extra money and go Apple.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion, Apple will remain top of the tree for at least two years yet. I have played around with quite a few Android based tabs. None of them has the functionality of the iPad.....Yet. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its really ur choice...and its not a very gud indication to be searching in "ipadforums"..lol..what do u expect? All the people here are generally ipad OWNERS or that have finalized on iPad...so they will obviously say ipad..mostly! do a google comparison and MORE importantly try both devices if u can..personally i will say ipad coz of ease of use and again i own one too..lol :p

hope u find ur love! :)

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Huh??? Totally wrong. $599 wifi only, $800 CDMA no contract.

Motorola hasn’t priced their Xoom Tablet yet.

VZW says $599 with a 2-yr contract. Specs say
All–Digital, 800/1900, CDMA EVDO rev A
4G LTE Upgradable (When available)

thus not wifi-only.

Walmart shows wifi-only marked down to $569 from $599.

Reaction score
Isn't there an obvious answer to this question?

Yes and no. Some forums would bash, slam and flame just for bringing the subject up but there are many multi platform users who post here and often are honest about which they prefer and why .
I'd suggest a 3g Ipad because it has the independent gps capability, is ready for prime time and to me would be more trust worthy in an emergency of using the GPS function if for no other reason than the Navionics app that I've not seen yet on Android or Windows. Its am awesome app for water navigation

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget to consider WHERE to buy either. While Apple may set the price and the store have to live with it, some do offer other things to entice your business, like >30 Day Warranties or free/bundled accessories. I've heard Target is a good choice due to their warranty policy being like 90 days vs. AppleStore and Best Buy being 30 days. Chime in if there are other considerations as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts