What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Officially Unveils the Next-Gen iPad Mini

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
ipad-mini-2.png

Apple also just unveiled their new iPad Mini. It's the second generation iPad Mini and it now includes a full Retina display & more!
  • 7.9-inch Retina Display (2,048 x 1,536 pixels resolution)
  • New A7 Chip 64-Bit CPU & M7 Motion Coprocessor
  • GPU is twice as fast as previous gen and 8x faster than original iPad
  • 10-hour battery life - no loss in battery life
  • Comes in Silver & White and Space Gray & Black
  • 9.7-inch Retina Display
  • MIMO Antennae
The iPad Mini 2nd-Gen will be coming later in November and will sell for $399. The original iPad Mini will still be available but will be cheaper now at just $299.

lowertech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple also just unveiled their new iPad Mini. It's the second generation iPad Mini and it now includes a full Retina display & more! [*]7.9-inch Retina Display (2,048 x 1,536 pixels resolution) [*]New A7 Chip 64-Bit CPU & M7 Motion Coprocessor [*]GPU is twice as fast as previous gen and 8x faster than original iPad [*]10-hour battery life - no loss in battery life [*]Comes in Silver & White and Space Gray & Black [*]9.7-inch Retina Display [*]MIMO Antennae The iPad Mini 2nd-Gen will be coming later in November and will sell for $399. The original iPad Mini will still be available but will be cheaper now at just $299.

A little bit heavier - maybe worth the increased weight? I will wait and watch how early adapters like it - or not...

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Am I missing something....other than the physical size....are the Mini and Air identical technically?
I think there's an error. It says first 7.9 RD display and next to last it says 9.7 RD which is incorrect it's actually the first which is 7.9 RD.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A little bit heavier - maybe worth the increased weight? I will wait and watch how early adapters like it - or not...

I'm not worried about increased weight....0.69 lbs to 0.75 lbs for the LTE version...0.06 lbs...= 0.96 oz difference in weight (or 27g).

The air will weigh 1lbs...or 0.25 lbs more...or 4 oz more...

One might ask if the Air is the better deal as it is bigger but only 4 oz more in weight.

For me, the mini still wins as they have the same guts but the mini as higher density screen at 326 ppi vs 264 ppi for the Air.

Your math may be different, though, as some like the larger screen for watching movies/TV...but I don't do much of that on a tablet and when/if I do, the mini is just fine for me.

lowertech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not worried about increased weight....0.69 lbs to 0.75 lbs for the LTE version...0.06 lbs...= 0.96 oz difference in weight (or 27g). The air will weigh 1lbs...or 0.25 lbs more...or 4 oz more... One might ask if the Air is the better deal as it is bigger but only 4 oz more in weight. For me, the mini still wins as they have the same guts but the mini as higher density screen at 326 ppi vs 264 ppi for the Air. Your math may be different, though, as some like the larger screen for watching movies/TV...but I don't do much of that on a tablet and when/if I do, the mini is just fine for me.

The Mini - in whatever configuration - is just perfect for me - my favorite computing tool of all time. Now, just the decision: Keep my 1st Gen or spring for the 2nd Gen? I have to have cell service as well as wifi, so the cost is significant - I will try to be sensible. When I see that Retna display "sensible" might go out the window! :)

Callihan_44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took my mini out of the case to clean it and forgot how light weight it is without the case...a Tiny bit more weight will not bother me at all

Most reactions

Latest posts