What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple is Working to Bring Apple Maps App to the Web

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
apple-maps-find-my-iphone-icloud.png

Apple to a new job listing on Apple's website, which was first spotted by 9to5Mac, the company could be working to bring its Apple Maps app to the web. The job summary reads like this - "The Maps team is looking for a talented and passionate web developer to help make maps work seamlessly on the web" and here is the description of the job:

"As a web developer woking on Maps, your primary responsibility will be client- side web development for maps-related experiences. You'll be working closely with world-class designers and many other teams to quickly implement and iterate on new features and experiences. An eye for detail, a sense of design, and a fondness for JavaScript, RWD, and small teams will all help you to succeed here."

The lack of a web version perhaps the biggest drawback in the Apple Maps service, as it is currently only accessible via iOS and Mac hardware.

Apple previously hinted that it wants to bring its Maps app beyond proprietary mobile software. Back in 2013, the company published a desktop version of the app for Mac, and in October of this year it launched Maps Connect, a way for business to manage their Maps listings. And now it seems that they are getting read for making Apple Maps to be available as a web tool for everybody.

Source: 9to5Mac

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Was iMaps improved in iOS 8? If not, then I suggest improving it before making a web tool.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Was iMaps improved in iOS 8? If not, then I suggest improving it before making a web tool.
Apple has been continually improving Apple Maps since it was first introduced. Now, by working to bring Apple Maps to the web, it will become available to everyone, not just users of Apple devices.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There was nothing wrong with the Maps app, just the data. As SciFan said, Apple has be improving the data steadily since it's roll out, and it's pretty good now. Perhaps not quite as good as Google's data, but they do have a huge head start.

That said, the app has changed a bit. There don't appear to be any new amazing features (like bike trails or public transport), but the controls are a little different. Probably the most interesting change I've seen is that if you tap the (i) icon there is a "Data From" option that takes you to a document that outlines all the data sources Apple uses for Maps.

It's possible it was there before, and I just hadn't noticed it.

Most reactions