What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Ipad2 Smart Case - does it ruin the screen?

cvadh387

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I came across this link: Smart Cover Ruining iPad 2 Screen [video] ~ Tech Stuffs

There are pictures and a youtube video of someone showing us what his smart cover did to the screen of his Ipad2. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else? Any feedback would be great.

PS. I know that the smart cover only acts as a cover and stand and not a protective case or anything, so when the guy complained about getting a scratch on the back of his Ipad2 I kind of just rolled my eyes..but yeah.

Anyway, I'm planning to buy a smart cover as well and would like to know beforehand if the cover really does dirty up the screen like in the link I shared? Any replies would be great. Thanks!

Oh and I apologize if this topic has already been discussed or if I placed it in the wrong area :( If it already has been discussed, it would be greatly appreciated that I be directed to the right place.

THANKS!!

Reaction score
There is a similar thread, but I am unable to find it right now.

Anyway, yes these three strips are fairly common, though the intensiveness varies. But just as with the fingerprints, it looks quite bad when the screen is off, but becomes invisible when the screen is turned on.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's pretty funny. You do realize that the microfiber lining partially cleans finger prints off of the screen, except for where the smart cover folds are recessed and don't touch the screen?

The Marware case for my old iPad had only one recessed fold on the cover, and it left a single stripe of finger oil on the screen. Just wipe it off with a microfiber cloth, no harm done. :)

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Yup, you do get stripes, but as DUMI (??) just stated, they don't show when turned on and they do come of real easy... No biggie, but as soon as the third party market expands a little more Ill definitely get a folio case..

chiffchaff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to follow up on what Tarkio said - I have seen the stripes people have been describing on my iPad. It appears to me that the cover really does clean the screen where it comes in direct contact with it, as Apple said it would. The stripes are simply where the cover doesn't touch, hence smudges etc don't get wiped off there. The cover isn't depositing anything, as was suggested in another thread. Just the opposite. It's a good thing.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It amazes me how people want to hate this "smart cover", I think the whole concept by Apple is ingenious. And as Apple normally does, I'm sure they took a great deal of time designing this cover so the user experience would be good.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you consider that the softer material that is on the inside can pick up a bit of whatever, since it is one the outside when setup as a stand ... it stands (pun intended) to reason that a bit of grime might transfer to the screen when it is carried, etc.

I thought long and hard ... because I liked the "Smart Cover" with the magnetic on/off feature, That was the one to get.

When it came time to get one, the blue one was out of stock at BB. So wanting a protective cover immediately, I picked up the Targus PivotVU. What a nice protective cover. After using it now for over a week, I have decided it offers corner and back protection (which the "Smart Cover" unfortunately doesn't) ... and a bit of DYI ingenuity can deal with the magnetic on/off feature. And since the Targus cover doesn't wrap around on the outside, it doesn't pick up any grime, etc. The stand feature is super slick and EZ. Actually more stable and faster to setup than the Apple design ... which is also okay. So we're keeping the Targus... same price as Apple's.

I have also discovered (since I type a lot) I want an extra bluetooth keyboard, so I got an Apple one... less than full price of course... or ... you can get the Zaggmate with the built in keyboard for $99. Really nice also, iPad2 versions shipping mid April. But you have to add a protective skin on the back ... a few more bucks.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you consider that the softer material that is on the inside can pick up a bit of whatever, since it is one the outside when setup as a stand ... it stands (pun intended) to reason that a bit of grime might transfer to the screen when it is carried, etc.

I thought long and hard ... because I liked the "Smart Cover" with the magnetic on/off feature, That was the one to get.

When it came time to get one, the blue one was out of stock at BB. So wanting a protective cover immediately, I picked up the Targus PivotVU. What a nice protective cover. After using it now for over a week, I have decided it offers corner and back protection (which the "Smart Cover" unfortunately doesn't) ... and a bit of DYI ingenuity can deal with the magnetic on/off feature. And since the Targus cover doesn't wrap around on the outside, it doesn't pick up any grime, etc. The stand feature is super slick and EZ. Actually more stable and faster to setup than the Apple design ... which is also okay. So we're keeping the Targus... same price as Apple's.

I have also discovered (since I type a lot) I want an extra bluetooth keyboard, so I got an Apple one... less than full price of course... or ... you can get the Zaggmate with the built in keyboard for $99. Really nice also, iPad2 versions shipping mid April. But you have to add a protective skin on the back ... a few more bucks.

When using the smart cover in the typing stand position simply fold the cover the other way so the interior lining is folded inside. It's just as stable folding either way. This doesn't work in the viewing position though.

When folding the cover behind for reading, double the cover over once with the lining again on the inside. This let's you set the iPad down without the cover touching any surfaces.

Most reactions

Latest posts