What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad Air Screen Protector: Is it Necessary?

ianmedium

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have yet to see a screen protector that does not ruin the image quality and to be honest I had my old 1st gen iPad for three years without screen protector and not a scratch. But then I look after my stuff.

Clemdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"The screen on the Air seems more "plastic" to me than my iPad 3."

This.

Is the Air screen actually plastic or just perhaps thinner glass? It's definitely different than previous versions.

Jhan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with all here but in my case i use a matte screen protector to eliminate the glare and reflections. It does slightly diminish the quality but it is a must for me. I hate glossy screens.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The case i have ordered for my Air comes with a screen protector so i might give it a try, they are a nightmare to apply though :(

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The case i have ordered for my Air comes with a screen protector so i might give it a try, they are a nightmare to apply though :(

Boy they sure are a nightmare to apply! I got super lucky once with my iPad 2 and did get one on fairly well but it causes blood pressure spikes that would make trans fats jealous. Ugh. This time, I'm not bothering though. I've seen lots of iPads that never had one installed and with normal usage the screens look new.

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
The last few times I installed a screen protector I did it in the bathroom after steaming it up by letting the hot water run. It was kind of uncomfortable, but it helped a lot!

rotmoor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen protectors are a must for any smartphone, tablet, etc! ZAGG, Stealth Lite, Rhino and 3M screen protectors are awesome. If you can't get your hands on one, get a GEARMAXX screen protector. They sell on ebay for cheap and are as durable!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"The screen on the Air seems more "plastic" to me than my iPad 3."

This.

Is the Air screen actually plastic or just perhaps thinner glass? It's definitely different than previous versions.

The screen is different (in terms of thickness and things behind it) so when you tap on it it sounds different. However, how it "sounds" is not a way to determine what the screen is made of or if it will scratch or break. I have had my original mini for a year now and there is not a single scratch on it. It doesn't need a protector any more than any other iPad.

rollerd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just couldnt stand the feel/texture of the one I had on my original iPad or the iPad 2. I didn't put one on my iPad 3 and it never got scratched. I don't plan on putting one on mine or my wifes iPad Air either. I do have a case on order for mine and one already on my wifes.

Forest007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered the Bodyguardz Pure screen protector. It's made of glass and looks just like the screen to me. It doesn't seem to show finger prints as much as the actual screen does. I purchased one for my iPhone 5s and I love it. It's a little pricey but worth it for me. I noticed a couple of very small faint scratches on the screen of my iPhone 5s a couple of weeks after I got it. I wanted to cover it before it got scratched up any more. I wasn't "careless" but probably not "extremely careful" either.

Last edited:

Most reactions