What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector

OP
RudyL90

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I will first try some cheap chinese anti-glare protector. If that doesn't do what I want, I will buy a PowerSupport protector.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RudyL90 said:
Ok, I will first try some cheap chinese anti-glare protector. If that doesn't do what I want, I will buy a PowerSupport protector.

Actually, not a bad idea - at the very least, you'll get some practice installing an iPad protector using a cheap protector instead of practicing on the $35 PowerSupport model!

Just be patient and watch for dust particles - they cause bubbles that cannot be smoothed out (usually)!

OP
RudyL90

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
Actually, not a bad idea - at the very least, you'll get some practice installing an iPad protector using a cheap protector instead of practicing on the $35 PowerSupport model!

Just be patient and watch for dust particles - they cause bubbles that cannot be smoothed out (usually)!

See the first post of this thread, I've had my practice time and totally failed. The seller was so nice to send me another one which I installed without bubbles.
Now I am waiting for another screenprotector, but this time a matte anti-glare one. :)

mgray2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need a screen protector that wont create bubbles on my screen! I can't find one anywhere. Any suggestions?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mgray2 said:
I need a screen protector that wont create bubbles on my screen! I can't find one anywhere. Any suggestions?

Sounds like the installation method may be the issue... I'd suggest doing some searches on how to install a screen protector on the iPad - it's not easy due to the large size of the screen...

Here are some tips I've learned:

1. Start an the end with the home button - use the home button to help align the protector properly. Only peel off about an inch of the "backing" at first - line it up as best as possible, and then just peel the backing off, letting the screen protector simply fall into place on it's own as you peel the backing off.... If you take the whole backing off at once, you are almost guaranteed to fail!

2. Dust and fingerprints on the "sticky side" of the protector are your biggest enemies! A tip that I just learned recently is to install the screen protector in the bathroom, after running a hot shower for a few minutes to get the bathroomed steamed up a little. This helps avoid dust.

3. Lots of patience and expect to ruin a few protectors! Almost all of the screen protectors say that they are cleanable and re-useable - yeah, right! I've NEVER been able to re-use a screen protector after the first initial installation.

4. If you do have a bubble from a dust speck, use scotch tape to lift up the corner of the protector nearest the dust speck and then use another piece of scotch tape to remove the speck dust. Then lay the protector back down... Believe it or not, I've had great success with this method. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to screen protectors and this trick has saved me many times!! Bubbles caused by dust specks CANNOT be removed without lifting up the protector - you can't remove them by pushing the bubble to the edge, like below (for air bubbles).

5. I always have some air bubbles after installation, but they are easily removed with a credit card or better yet a little piece of rubber to use as a squeegee (some protectors come with them). Just work them out from the center to the edges - the air bubbles can literally be "pushed" all of the way to the closest edge and they will simply disappear.

Hope that helps! Good luck! Installing a screen protector on an iPad is MUCH harder than installing one onto an iPhone or iPod!

Last edited:

mrbunglez

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I just ordered a moshi ivisor, says bubble free installation due to it just adhering to the border.
Ive had the sgp ultra optics on since day 1 loved it but i recently got a huge scratch on that protector and figured id try something different.
Its been given excellent reviews so ill see how it is.
Its on moshimonde.com if you wanna check it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
4. If you do have a bubble from a dust speck, use scotch tape to lift up the corner of the protector nearest the dust speck and then use another piece of scotch tape to remove the speck dust. Then lay the protector back down... Believe it or not, I've had great success with this method. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to screen protectors and this trick has saved me many times!!

I use a pair of Post-It Flags: the light adhesive is more gentle on the plastic, and the size makes it easy to use.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mutzben said:
Hey guys,

Aust users can buy bodyguardzoz screen protectors.

They have anti glare protectors and they are excellent. Easy to stick on cause its tick so it wont flop around when you try.

Go on their fb page, just search "bodyguardzoz" and like their page. theres a 5% discount code on their fb page as well.

They are not cheap but reasonable + the 5% discount : )

What about interference with the screen (visually)? I've seen some anti-glares that cause a "pixelation" effect and others that just cause the screen to look horrible in general!

Thanks!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
What about interference with the screen (visually)? I've seen some anti-glares that cause a "pixelation" effect and others that just cause the screen to look horrible in general!

I think a lot of the dissatisfied users are overstating the case. By definition, an antiglare screen will pixellate, which is just doing its job to reduce reflections and glare, but with a good brand you should not really notice it in daily usage. I use a Brando screen and quite satisfied with it.

rexet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am also looking for the best anti-glare overlay. I don't really care about scratches protection, I really want to improve readability of my iPad 2 under the sun :) !

I note from your messages that Powersupport and Brando seem to sell good products. Any other feedback ?

Thanks

rexet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the extra cost of a powersupport worth it?
I don't really care about spending more money if the quality is really good. But if it is quite the same product my purse would be grateful to same few bucks :)

rexet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I forgot one question: does the PowerSupport perfectly fit the size of the iPad? I read many comments on Griffin or Belkin screen overlay that miss 1 or 2mm to really cover the all surface of the iPad.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I've found that you WANT the screen protector to be ever-so-slightly smaller than the iPad screen - this way installation does not need to be as perfect! For example, the iEssentials are sized so exact that if you are off even the smallest bit, the protector won't stick properly at the edges.

If money isn't an object - I'd go with PowerSupport for sure - they are higher quality and are easier to install, in my opinion....

rexet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks jtrosky!

Now I just have to find a reseller in France :)

Most reactions