What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple forcing i0S7 download ??

WorBry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read today various reports that Apple have started forcing (pushed) download of iOS7 (now 7.02) on devices. Thought at first it just affected iPhones, until I read this:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23187712#23187712

Any iPAD 3/4 users experiencing the same? I haven't yet with my iPad 4. Bit of a cheek if it does. What about users who prefer to download to and install through iTunes?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The downloaded software still won't install unless you tell it to and you can upgrade through iTunes if you want to, the download doesn't affect this.

The Archangel

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
*shakes head*

What really makes me laugh is....

iOS 5 had this feature.

iOS 6 had this feature.

Yet people are making some freaking big deal over something that has been around for TWO YEARS.....

Why are they just starting to complain now?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
*shakes head*

iOS 5 had this feature.

iOS 6 had this feature.

Yet people are making some freaking big deal over something that has been around for TWO YEARS.....

It could be FUD from companies that don't know how to make a better product (Surface tablet anyone?). Typical sign of a small mind.. attack others instead of improving self.

OP
W

WorBry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
*shakes head*

iOS 5 had this feature.

iOS 6 had this feature.

Because I only got my iPAD4 a month ago and have never owned an apple device before, so all of this is new to me :rolleyes:

OP
W

WorBry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just after I posted the above, I received a notification that iOS 7.02 had been downloaded on my iPAD4; I guess that answers my question. Nice to give people the choice.

OP
W

WorBry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll get over it.

Interesting that it downloaded while the iPAD was connected to my PC via USB (non-charging), so so much for the reports that it only happens when connected to AC supply.

And I wonder, if I just leave it sitting there, what happens when a further update comes out? Will it replace the 7.02 download or add to it?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll get over it. Interesting that it downloaded while the iPAD was connected to my PC via USB (non-charging), so so much for the reports that it only happens when connected to AC supply. And I wonder, if I just leave it sitting there, what happens when a further update comes out? Will it replace the 7.02 download or add to it?

From experience it will only download one update at a time, if you don't install it then you shouldn't get anymore downloads......but don't quote me on that!

The Archangel

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll get over it.

Interesting that it downloaded while the iPAD was connected to my PC via USB (non-charging), so so much for the reports that it only happens when connected to AC supply.

And I wonder, if I just leave it sitting there, what happens when a further update comes out? Will it replace the 7.02 download or add to it?

Yeah, I will. :D

iOS devices don't differentiate between input power sources. So to it, it was hooked to AC. The only thing they really check for is too low of an amperage and if detected warn the users that the device will communicate but not charge.

And it will replace it based on the last two years of using it but if memory serves it waits about 2 weeks.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I will. :D iOS devices don't differentiate between input power sources. So to it, it was hooked to AC. The only thing they really check for is too low of an amperage and if detected warn the users that the device will communicate but not charge. And it will replace it based on the last two years of using it but if memory serves it waits about 2 weeks.

That explains why my iPad Mini still had an iOS 6 update waiting when I went to upgrade to iOS 7, thanks Skull.

The Archangel

OP
W

WorBry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We'll I bit the bullet and installed iOS 7.02.
No problems as such, just a bit sluggish, especially Safari.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It'll download it, but it won't install until you hit the install button. IIRC, it only downloads once, so if you can delete it, it won't bug you again until you manually do it or restore your device or something along the lines. Or, just keep your device's space below 3GB and it won't do so.

OP
W

WorBry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We'll I bit the bullet and installed iOS 7.02.
No problems as such, just a bit sluggish, especially Safari.

On further testing, definitely some performance drop with video playback. AVC mp4 video files (encoded with MeGUI encoder profile for iPAD4), which before the upgrade played very smoothly on the device (from Camera Roll) and streamed without any problem from my Western Digital MyBookLive NAS using the WD2Go app, are now struggling a bit - take longer to open and resume play after seeking (buffering lags). And these are Standard Definition videos, not HD. Can't see that it's the WD2Go app that's to blame as it uses the on-board player, not it's own.

Sure hope Apple address these performance issues.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On further testing, definitely some performance drop with video playback. AVC mp4 video files (encoded with MeGUI encoder profile for iPAD4), which before the upgrade played very smoothly on the device (from Camera Roll) and streamed without any problem from my Western Digital MyBookLive NAS using the WD2Go app, are now struggling a bit - take longer to open and resume play after seeking (buffering lags). And these are Standard Definition videos, not HD. Can't see that it's the WD2Go app that's to blame as it uses the on-board player, not it's own. Sure hope Apple address these performance issues.

Just to note, most of not all of WD's apps haven't been updated for a long time, now, a corporation such as WD would have been aware of iOS 7 and the beta phase so to have done nothing about it is an issue for them.........I also have a MyBook Live and I'm having a few issues myself.

I'm not an apologist for Apple and I am always keen to promote WD kit but.......WD knew about iOS 7 and haven't upgraded their apps accordingly, so you could do what I have done and contact WD and ask them where their app updates are!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts