What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Discontinues AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Time Capsule

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Apple discontinues wireless routers.JPG

iMore reports that Apple has decided to discontinue its Wi-Fi router range, including AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Time Capsule.

“We’re discontinuing the Apple AirPort base station products,” Apple told iMore. “They will be available through Apple.com, Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers while supplies last.”

According to iMore, Apple will also help customers to find service and parts for the currently available AirPort Base Stations for 5 more years. It will also be posting various articles to help customers move on to other products and away from AirPort products.

AirPort was first announced by Steve Jobs at Macworld New York in July 1999, during the very early days of wireless technology. Back then, Apple wanted to provide support for Wi-Fi for all devices, not just for Macs, including routers, in order to help the technology become more mainstream. As Wi-Fi standards progressed, Apple continued to help the technology progress with its own products, including developments such as a built-in audio jack that connected speakers and enabled wireless music streaming that was introduced with the 2004 release of AirPort Express. Time Capsule, which launched in 2008, was another innovation from Apple, featuring a hard drive that combined with the Time Machine OS X facility to enable automatic and seamless wireless backup of a user’s Macs.

Source: RIP AirPort Base Stations: Why Apple is exiting the Wi-Fi router business

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, we knew this was coming for a while - I have a 5 y/o Airport Extreme (802.11n) which still works fine for our needs - there is a newer model but when needed I'll probably migrate to another brand as the protocols change. Dave :)

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upon hearing this news I immediately ordered another Extreme to have as a spare just in case mine ever breaks down. It’s too bad for users since this line of routers is so incredibly easy to configure for a home network. I even have an older, flat model, set up as an access point for an HP printer that had its built-in wi-fi card fail.

Most reactions

Latest posts